Mechanical Engineer - Environmental Control Systems
Located in Northern California, the Joby Aviation team is steadily working toward our goal of creating an affordable, all-electric air transportation system. Imagine an air taxi that takes off vertically, then quietly and quickly carries you over the traffic congestion below, giving you back the time that otherwise would have spent sitting in traffic. Since 2009, our team has been making this dream a reality, designing and flight testing a prototype aircraft capable of serving in a network of electric air taxis. We’re looking for talented individuals to join our team as we push onwards towards certifying the aircraft with the Federal Aviation Administration, high-rate production, and preparing for commercialization with launch targeted in select markets for 2024.
Joby Aviation is seeking a passionate engineer to join our Powertrain team in San Carlos, CA to support development of the environmental control system for the Joby S4. This individual would be responsible for designing HVAC aircraft components, ductwork, electronic housings and cooling components, and testing equipment. This role will involve design work starting at the conceptual level through full modelling and continue into manufacturing and testing.
- Design of complex components and packaging
- Initial layout and sizing
- Detailed design and fabrication specifications
- Preparing production drawings, with appropriate GD & T
- Direct communication with vendors and technicians in manufacturing
- B.S in mechanical engineering
- Minimum 1-2 years of demonstrated engineering experience, preferably “full-stack” with exposure to test design, equipment/component selection, hands-on builds, bring-up and troubleshooting
- Proficiency with Catia, preferably in 3D Experience Environment
- Proficiency in mechanical design, materials selection, kinematics, troubleshooting, and analysis
- Excellent problem solving and communication skills
- Strong analytical background
Pursuant to various local, state, and federal regulations, you must show proof of your full COVID-19 vaccination status prior to your start date. Exemption requests are available for bona fide religious and medical circumstances.
- M.S. in mechanical engineering
- Aviation or Automotive industry experience
- Strong fundamentals in fluid flow and heat transfer
- Experience in HVAC design
- Experience with instrumentation selection/procurement and data acquisition
- Electrical enclosure design experience
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Electric Aerial Ridesharing