System Safety Engineer
Located in Northern California, the Joby Aviation team has been steadily working toward our goal of providing safe, affordable, fully electric air transportation that is accessible to everyone. Imagine an air taxi that takes off vertically, then quietly and quickly carries you over the congestion below, giving you back that time you’d otherwise spend sitting in traffic. Technology has advanced to the point where designing and operating an all-electric aircraft is completely viable. Our team has been discreetly designing and flight testing this vehicle and is looking for talented individuals to see it through certification and high rate production.
The System Safety Engineer will support aircraft development through certification and into service, by generating and reviewing system safety assessments and analyses and interfacing with other departments. The System Safety Engineer will report functionally to the Senior System Safety Engineer. The most important traits at Joby are a positive attitude towards the project, strong work ethic, and being able to self-manage and learn new skills. Forward thinking and the ability to adapt quickly to a fast-paced environment are a must.
- Generating and reviewing safety assessments and analyses at the aircraft, system, and equipment levels:
- Functional Hazard Assessment (FHA)
- Preliminary System Safety Assessment (PSSA)
- System Safety Assessment (SSA)
- Fault Tree Analysis (FTA)
- Particular Risk Analysis (PRA)
- Common Mode Analysis (CMA)
- Zonal Safety Assessments (ZSA)
- Failure Modes and Effects Analysis (FMEA)
- System-Theoretic Process Analysis (STPA)
- Generating and managing safety-derived requirements through the development life cycle.
- Developing and maintaining a safety event database to be used in safety analyses and operational service.
- Identifying safety-derived maintenance requirements and reviewing Instructions for Continued Airworthiness to ensure safety compliance into service.
- Generating and reviewing Master Minimum Equipment List to ensure safety compliance into service
- Bachelors or higher degree in Engineering discipline - Electrical, Mechanical, or Aerospace preferred
- Able to read and review technical schematics and engineering drawings and specifications
- Proficient in English
- Microsoft Office and Google Docs
- Pursuant to various local, state, and federal regulations, you must show proof of your full COVID-19 vaccination status prior to your start date. Exemption requests are available for bona fide religious and medical circumstances
- 3-5 years of relevant industry experience.
- FAA certification experience, specifically certifying complex, integrated aircraft systems.
- Experience with 2X.1309 analyses and guidance material – such as Advisory Circular 23.1309-1E, SAE ARP 4761, and SAE ARP 4754A
- A basic understanding of aviation software development and system communication protocols.
- A basic understanding of RTCA/DO-178 and RTCA/DO-254.
- Experience using STPA methods on complex systems.
- Familiar with Dassault Systemes engineering and management tools.
- Private pilot certificate
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Electric Aerial Ridesharing