Business Development Manager
Located in Northern California, the Joby Aviation team is steadily working toward our goal of creating an affordable, all-electric air transportation system. Imagine an air taxi that takes off vertically, then quietly and quickly carries you over the traffic congestion below, giving you back the time that otherwise would have spent sitting in traffic. Since 2009, our team has been making this dream a reality, designing and flight testing a prototype aircraft capable of serving in a network of electric air taxis. We’re looking for talented individuals to join our team as we push onwards towards certifying the aircraft with the Federal Aviation Administration, high-rate production, and preparing for commercialization with launch targeted in select markets for 2024.
Our Business Development Team is building a world where anybody can fly anywhere, anytime. We drive the sourcing, negotiations and execution of world class partnerships for Joby domestically and internationally. With primary focus on demand generation, infrastructure, airports and technical partnerships; the BD team works closely with private and public entities to deliver Joby’s integrated Advanced Air mobility ecosystem.
The role will require you to develop, close and execute on world class partnerships for Joby that will accelerate aircraft development and go-to-market efforts. Working cross functionally you will identify internal company needs, build relationships with appropriate external counterparties and execute on mutually beneficial partnerships that solve for the identified opportunity. Strong communication skills, an entrepreneurial mindset and business/financial acumen are required for success, as this role works across all levels and functions of the Joby organization.
You will report directly to Joby’s Business Development Lead and work closely with the wider Policy, Operations, Legal, Finance and Product teams. You will be building and managing large scale partnerships from the ground up, and your contribution will be key to unlocking the delivery of this exciting new Urban Air Mobility service.
- Take ownership of multiple new and existing partnerships across operational and engineering domains
- Lead partnership projects cross-functionally at all levels of the organization, from a Battery Engineer to our CEO; with an expectation to interface with and report competently to the C-level
- Execute on Joby’s current infrastructure partnerships across Joby’s launch markets
- Evaluate partnership opportunities across several industries, performing a broad range of quantitative and qualitative analyses
- Interface with external executives alongside seasoned BD professionals on complex deals
- Interface closely with leaders on the Joby Product, Policy, Finance, Legal and Ops Teams
- Handle a high volume of engagements and the fast pace of our company
- 4-6+ years relevant experience with a proven track record in Strategy & Planning, Business Development or Management Consulting
- MBA or advanced degree preferred
- Experience with establishing, maintaining, and fostering C-level relationships at partner companies
- Proven track record of building and executing commercial deals and complex partnerships
- Ability to flourish with minimal guidance, be proactive, and handle uncertainty and ambiguity
- Ability to fuse business, strategy, finance, and legal concepts to lead complex, multi-faceted deals
- Outstanding communication and interpersonal skills
- Strong academic background: business or finance a plus
- Ability to work cross-functionally at all levels of the organization - You can work effectively with anyone from a CEO to a counterparty’s field ops manager. You can lead priorities and succeed in a highly matrixed organization -
- Passion for Joby's mission and ability to thrive under pressure in an unstructured, fast paced environment
Pursuant to various local, state, and federal regulations, you must show proof of your full COVID-19 vaccination status prior to your start date. Exemption requests are available for bona fide religious and medical circumstances.
- Previous experience in the tech, mobility, real estate or aviation industry.
- Experience bringing and scaling new and emerging products/business lines to market. Ability to build innovative product experiences and go-to-market models.
- Expertise partnering and negotiating with public sector organizations.
- Ability to challenge and influence various groups across organizations
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Electric Aerial Ridesharing