Located in Northern California, the Joby Aviation team is steadily working toward our goal of creating an affordable, all-electric air transportation system. Imagine an air taxi that takes off vertically, then quietly and quickly carries you over the traffic congestion below, giving you back the time that otherwise would have spent sitting in traffic. Since 2009, our team has been making this dream a reality, designing and flight testing a prototype aircraft capable of serving in a network of electric air taxis. We’re looking for talented individuals to join our team as we push onwards toward certifying the aircraft with the Federal Aviation Administration and preparing for commercialization with launch targeted in select markets for 2024.
You will be responsible for improving the accuracy and confidence in the aerodynamic understanding of cutting-edge VTOL aircraft. The role will focus on development of the Joby in-house aerodynamic modeling framework. This will involve a wide variety of activities including scoping computational fluid dynamic analyses, development of physical and surrogate models, designing and executing tests, reducing experimental data, updating and validating models from test results, and running performance and loads analyses. Through this opportunity, you will gain insight into existing modeling and testing techniques and have an opportunity to push the art forward at Joby.
The position will be in our Santa Cruz, CA location, and will actively work with various teams at Joby Aviation, including flight physics, airframe, and actuators, flight testing, certification, and more.This role will operate in a fast-paced, demanding, and rewarding environment with very high expectations for individual contribution.
- Work closely with flight physics engineers to produce aerodynamic models
- Provide insight into aerodynamic database generation
- Assess vehicle performance, flight dynamics, and external loads via in-house tools
- Contribute to Joby’s in-house modeling and aero tools
- B.S. in aerospace engineering, mechanical engineering, or a relevant discipline
- Experience developing aerodynamic models or performing aero-performance analysis
- Experience with MATLAB, Python, or similar languages
- Understanding of software versioning and best practices
- Understanding of data fitting and data regression methods
- Strong technical written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work in groups and individually
Pursuant to various local, state, and federal regulations, you must show proof of your full COVID-19 vaccination status prior to your start date. Exemption requests are available for bona fide religious and medical circumstances.
- 2+ years of working experience in relevant industry
- Strong programming proficiency
- Strong understanding of aircraft and rotorcraft aerodynamics
- Experience with aero simulation tools such as AVL, xFoil, xRotor
- Experience with surrogate modeling techniques
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Electric Aerial Ridesharing