Loads and Dynamics Engineer
Located in Northern California, the Joby Aviation team is steadily working toward our goal of creating an affordable, all-electric air transportation system. Imagine an air taxi that takes off vertically, then quietly and quickly carries you over the traffic congestion below, giving you back the time that otherwise would have spent sitting in traffic. Since 2009, our team has been making this dream a reality, designing and flight testing a prototype aircraft capable of serving in a network of electric air taxis. We’re looking for talented individuals to join our team as we push onwards toward certifying the aircraft with the Federal Aviation Administration and preparing for commercialization with launch targeted in select markets for 2024.
You will play an integral role in the development of Joby loads and aeroelasticity efforts. Responsibilities include contributing to in-house tools, computation of loads and flutter analyses, updating and validating aeroelastic modeling, and working with DERs and FAA representatives to certify Joby’s cutting-edge VTOL aircraft. The position requires a solid mathematical background, a detailed conceptual understanding of aircraft dynamics, and strong attention to detail. The applicant is expected to have experience with static and dynamic loads derivation for aircraft. Background in flutter analysis is also desired.
The position will be in our Santa Cruz, CA location, and will actively work with various teams at Joby Aviation, including flight physics, flight testing, airframe, and actuators, integration and test, certification, and more. This role will operate in a fast-paced, demanding, and rewarding environment with very high expectations for individual contribution.
- Develop external loads and aeroelastic models and methods
- Develop aerodynamic databases for use in aircraft aeroelastic models
- Develop multi-DOF flight dynamics simulations for use in external loads and dynamics
- Interpret experimental data to correlate and validate aircraft aeroelastic models
- Implement loads database to be used by the structural design team
- Determining and interpreting the certification basis and establishing compliance strategies – including means and methods of compliance
- Developing, reviewing, and approving certification-related documents
- Working with and mentoring multiple engineering teams with a mix of aerospace and non-aerospace backgrounds
- Interfacing with certification authorities as required (FAA, EASA, etc.)
- B.S. in mechanical engineering, aerospace engineering, or a relevant discipline
- 7+ years experience performing detailed loads analysis for fixed-wing aircraft or rotorcraft
- Excellent understanding of aircraft loads and aeroelasticity
- Previous experience working on the aviation certification program
- The ability to question traditional assumptions in the application of regulations, guidance material, and engineering specifications
- Experience with NASTRAN, RCAS, or other aeroelastic analysis tools
- Comfortable with analysis tools such as MATLAB, Python, and Excel
- Please include a cover letter with your application
Pursuant to various local, state, and federal regulations, you must show proof of your full COVID-19 vaccination status prior to your start date. Exemption requests are available for bona fide religious and medical circumstances.
- FAA Designated Engineering Representative (DER) for Part 23 Loads or ability to immediately become one
- Expert knowledge of FAR 23 and 27
- 10+ years of working experience in the aircraft certification industry
- Extensive experience correlating and validating loads models using experimental data
- Experience with Interactions of Systems of Structures and/or computing loads for aircraft with fly-by-wire control systems
- Experience with AeroServoElastic (ASE) analyses and certification requirements.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Electric Aerial Ridesharing