Autonomous Vehicle Application/Integration Engineering Manager (Onsite)
May Mobility is transforming transportation by developing and deploying autonomous shuttles that get people where they need to go-- safely, easily, and with a lot more fun. Our vehicles are on the streets of Grand Rapids, Michigan, Indianapolis, Indiana, Arlington, Texas and Hiroshima, Japan navigating complex downtown scenarios and transporting thousands of people on their daily commute every week. We are establishing a ground game that will propel us into even larger markets in the future.
Based in Ann Arbor, Michigan, our team develops driverless technology to give people more time to laugh with friends, to solve an interesting problem, or to enjoy the world around them. We’re hiring people who share our passion for building the future, today.
Onsite employees come into HQ or one of our sites at least 4 times a week and have a dedicated workstation with a monitor, keyboard, etc. This role is an onsite role, based out of Ann Arbor, Michigan.
Embedded Systems @ May
Spanning both hardware and software roles, the Embedded Systems team is integral to the design and integration of our vehicle platforms. Team members develop custom, cutting-edge hardware and firmware, frequently working across functional teams with Autonomy, Software and Data Infrastructure, and Vehicle Integration. Whether it’s sourcing and integrating new sensors to build out and improve our autonomous shuttle platform, or creating hardware that’s never been built before, we are looking for leaders that want to build, integrate, and test embedded systems that will change the world. With our talented team, your work will push the envelope of what is possible in autonomous vehicles today.
Your Opportunity to Drive Success
Demonstrate the ability to increase team effectiveness through effective requirements capture, vehicle architecture, integration, and validation of autonomous vehicle system components, through mentoring, challenging team assumptions, and status quo.
Effectively plan the vehicle integration team daily activities across the supported vehicle platforms and cascading lessons learned to the development teams supporting continuous improvement.
Lead meetings and delegate across teams, fostering clear communication and teamwork while keeping everyone on goal.
Lead the team in triaging field issues and where feasible, drill down to root cause using a structured approach to problem solving and analysis (i.e 8D, RedX, 5 Why, etc.) approaches. Ability to present analysis results to a diverse audience.
Work the the Production Engineering team to perform system integration of selected hardware components into the vehicle platform, collect critical operational data, and ensure robust vehicle system operation.
Be knowledgeable on vehicle controls and ADAS embedded systems components.
Work with the entire team to develop and test autonomous vehicle requirements.
Lead the acquisition and development of software tools to facilitate rapid analysis and triage of autonomous vehicle performance data.
Be a key contributor to internally developed ECU hardware validation, vehicle integration, troubleshooting, and issue resolution.
Create and oversee system and component test plans, interpret test results, triage issues, and recommend potential solutions.
Manage the supplier, perform in vehicle validation, and release approved firmware updates for various autonomous vehicle component hardware.
Work with the quality assurance team to troubleshoot, triage, and resolve internal and supplier quality issues.
Troubleshoot, triage, and maintain driver, and health monitoring software modules when opportunities arise.
- Manage a diverse team of vehicle integration engineers to help May achieve and realize a robust and successful vehicle autonomous system.
- Troubleshoot autonomous vehicle system hardware and software issues to maintain system operation and rectify problems.
- Assisting and advising technicians, at both onsite and offsite locations, on proper installation and maintenance of required embedded and electrical systems.
- Collaborating with a multi-disciplined engineering team including field support, software, safety, autonomy, computer, mechanical and production engineers.
- Learn about all aspects of our vehicle to support effective integration and troubleshooting of autonomous vehicle system components.
- Collect and analyze autonomous vehicle system data to quickly improve system performance.
- Understand interfaces between the vehicle platform, actuators, vehicle software, and communication networks.
- Developing and performing tests to validate subsystems through functional testing.
- Flashing control modules and sensors with software and firmware updates.
- Test the embedded software developed for an autonomous vehicle.
- Interface with production engineering to ensure robust mounting of components.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering or related fields.
- Minimum of 5 years of work experience and / or project team experience in automotive engineering
- Minimum of 3 years of experience in leading an autonomous vehicle integration team and integrating new features robustly with high quality and reliable outcomes
- Minimum of 5 years' experience with effective automotive troubleshooting, root cause identification, and documenting proposed solutions
- Strong proficiency in analyzing and interpreting vehicle data
- Strong electrical and electronic hardware vehicle integration experience.
- Experience with in-vehicle hardware validation/verification with systems such as lidar, radar, cameras, GPS, IMUs, etc.
- At least 3 years of experience working with CAN, Ethernet, and Serial networks.
- Experience working with and testing requirements for safety-critical systems adhering to functional safety standards.
- Experience with Robotics or ADAS integration.
- Ability to work independently and take ownership of vehicle component integration and testing of mission-critical functionality.
- Good communication skills and ability to work across functional teams.
- Master’s degree in Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering or similar field.
- 7+ years of experience in vehicle electronic component integration and vehicle system troubleshooting.
- Experience with state of the art requirements capture tools.
- Experience with fabrication and integration techniques for mechanical and electrical systems, as well as hands-on experience.
- Ability to read electrical schematics and use oscilloscopes and logic analyzers to troubleshoot embedded software.
- Experience working with by-wire systems and low-level actuation in vehicles.
- Experience in hands-on automotive embedded development.
- Proficiency writing embedded code in C.
- Experience with agile engineering development processes.
- Strong proficiency in creating or modifying scripts to automatically analyze vehicle data using Python, or other similar programming languages.
- Strong interpersonal and communications skills.
- Independent problem-solving ability.
Benefits and Perks
- Health benefits including vision and dental
- Flexible vacation days and generous holidays
- Paid parental leave
- Meaningful stock options
- Daily catered lunches and snacks
- Flexible schedule around core business hours
Want to learn more about our culture & benefits? Check out our website!
May Mobility is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants for employment will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, genetics or any other legally protected basis. Below, you have the opportunity to share your preferred gender pronouns, gender, ethnicity, and veteran status with May Mobility to help us identify areas of improvement in our hiring and recruitment processes. Completion of these questions is entirely voluntary. Any information you choose to provide will be kept confidential, and will not impact the hiring decision in any way. If you believe that you will need any type of accommodation, please let us know.
Note to Recruitment Agencies: May Mobility does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Furthermore, May Mobility does not pay placement fees for candidates submitted by any agency other than its approved partners.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Nice to move you