Flight Test Engineer
Skyryse wants to allow anyone, to fly anywhere, in any aircraft, safely and as a highly experienced pilot would. Powered by the Skyryse operating system, we automate flight controls and management to achieve unmatched safety and eliminate opportunities for human error in all flight stages, and in emergency situations. We want to make flying as ubiquitous as the road and as safe as the elevator.
Why this role is mission critical:
We are developing the most advanced flight control and automation technology in the world. The only way to finally prove and improve the technology is through flight test. In this role, you will be developing the most creative flight test plans and cards while ensuring safety of flight. You will frequently sit next to our chief pilot and operate the flight instrumentation, which may be designed by yourself, to flawlessly execute the test cards. You will also directly support our FAA certification flight campaign and commercial Urban Air Taxi fleet operations.
- Develop and maintain developmental and certification flight test plans, flight test cards and test reports for company advanced R&D, marketing survey flight and FAA certification.
- Work closely with company Chief Test Pilot, FAA Pilot DER and FAA Pilots to support all the flight test campaigns.
- Evaluate and select the flight instrumentation and telemetry systems, develop Go/NoGo parameters and conduct post-flight data analysis; collaborate with the aircraft integration team to ensure instrumentation is safe for flight.
- Support flight squawks creation and lifecycle ensuring proper documentation and closure.
- Plan, organize, and lead data collection ground tests to support flight test campaigns.
- Work with technical leads and department heads to build and manage HIL/SIL and equipment labs.
- Support the execution of successful flight operations by communicating, setting test priorities and communicating them effectively.
- Manage and edit flight and ground test data and video.
- Perform various manual tasks including installing and replacing test equipment and test systems.
- Run flight test planning, flight readiness reviews, flight briefs/debriefs and post flight analysis.
- Complete all required documentation in accordance with established company and FAA procedures.
- Bachelor’s (BS) in aerospace engineering, systems engineering or other aerospace related discipline or equivalent experience
- 3+ years hands on experience of creating rotorcraft or fixed wing aircraft flight test plans and test cards
- Recent experimental flight test experience as a Flight Test Engineer, in a civil certification environment
- Experience or knowledge of Safety Management Systems
- Significant experience writing flight test plans as part of a FAA certification program and generating reports from analized flight test data
- Experience leading Pre and post flight briefing/debriefing
- Previous experience in rotorcraft helicopter flight characteristics and Flight testing techniques
- Knowledge of relevant aviation regulations and logistics including general aviation aircraft alterations and maintenance, radio communication procedures, and flight planning
- Excellent understanding of both flight dynamic and operations
- Proficient in analyzing and plotting flight test data using Matlab or similar tools and then generate appropriate formal report
- Good understanding of most common flight instrumentation and Safety of Flight workflow
- Can-do attitude to create something from scratch
- Masters or PhD degree in aerospace engineering, systems engineering or other aerospace related field
- 5+ years experience as a Flight Test Engineer for civil or military aircraft with rotorcraft development preferred
- Rotorcraft or fixed wing pilot license and have more than 500 flight hours
We also have great benefits:
- The opportunity to change the world
- Competitive salary
- Valuable stock option plan
- Medical, dental and vision insurance
- Flexible vacation
- A company with a huge vision, a dynamic work environment and a team of smart, ambitious and fun to work-with colleagues!
Skyryse is an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Principals only, please. NO AGENCY CANDIDATES WILL BE CONSIDERED. Please apply directly to Skyryse.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Safety Through Simplicity