Tool Design Engineer
Located in Northern California, the Joby Aviation team has been steadily working toward our goal of providing safe, affordable, fully electric air transportation that is accessible to everyone. Imagine an air taxi that takes off vertically, then quietly and quickly carries you over the congestion below, giving you back that time you’d otherwise spend sitting in traffic. Technology has advanced to the point where designing and operating an all-electric aircraft is completely viable. Our team has been discreetly designing and flight testing this vehicle and is looking for talented individuals to see it through certification and high rate production.
Joby Aviation is searching for a tool design engineer with experience designing tools and equipment for large carbon fiber parts and assemblies for aircraft production. This person should be well versed in all aspects of the tool design process from concept sketches to implementing tools on the production floor.
- Design, develop, and implement manufacturing aids and equipment such as jigs, fixtures, molds, etc.
- Help develop Joby’s tool design standards
- Produce easy to follow prints and shop floor drawings
- Coordinate and support tooling activities across a wide range of departments including; airframe design, structural analysis, planning, vendors & suppliers, manufacturing, production, quality assurance, testing and tool fabrication
- 1-3 years of related experience as a tool design engineer in relevant industry
- Experience working with 3D CAD Software (CATIA, NX, or Solidworks)
- Familiar with GD&T and common drafting practices in compliance with ASME Y14.5 & Y14.100
- Experience in composite manufacturing processes: manual layup, AFP, autoclave operation, hot press, assembly processes, etc.
- Experience in prototype manufacturing in a professional environment
- Experience with FEA, hand calculations, and documenting results
- Excellent verbal communication with internal departments and external vendors
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Electric Aerial Ridesharing