Cell Testing Engineer
Located in Northern California, the Joby Aviation team has been steadily working toward our goal of providing safe, affordable, fully electric air transportation that is accessible to everyone. Imagine an air taxi that takes off vertically, then quietly and quickly carries you over the congestion below, giving you back that time you’d otherwise spend sitting in traffic. Technology has advanced to the point where designing and operating an all-electric aircraft is completely viable. Our team has been discreetly designing and flight testing this vehicle and is looking for talented individuals to see it through certification and high rate production.
Joby Aviation is seeking a hardworking, innovative, and passionate engineer to help take our cell testing to the next level. This person will be part of the team focused on developing and quantifying the performance metrics unique to EVTOL applications and be engaged in all levels of cell-testing, including design-of-experiments, test protocol development, and data analysis and interpretation. This person will be integral to driving insights that impact design decisions related to the battery architecture and will work closely with design, safety, electrochemical, and simulation engineers to make our design the best in the industry.
- Identify novel and targeted methods of characterizing cell performance as they relate to aircraft performance and regulatory requirements
- Work with design engineers to evaluate design levers on cell performance and develop customized testing hardware and experiments to best quantify impact
- Monitor and refine BOL and EOL metrics and work closely with the quality team to build out relevant standards
- Evaluate cell designs from suppliers and generate summarized insights from testing data
- Maintain test integrity by actively monitoring data and trouble-shooting tests and equipment
- MS or above in in materials science, chemistry, electrical engineering, or related field
- Experience with large-scale, structured li-ion testing operations and programming cell cyclers (e.g. Arbin, Maccor)
- Strong critical reasoning mindset and capable of interpreting and making testing decisions based on first principles and academic research
- Experienced in statistical analysis and data visualization with great written, verbal, and presentation skills
- Understanding of cell failure mechanisms and experience with abuse testing methods
- Willingness to get hands dirty and work with team-members on all levels of test execution, whether it be performing fixturing modifications or performing calibrations
- Python or other language for data processing and visualization,
- Relational databases such as SQL
- Sensing and data acquisition knowledge
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Electric Aerial Ridesharing