Battery Safety Engineer
Located in Northern California, the Joby Aviation team has been steadily working toward our goal of providing safe, affordable, fully electric air transportation that is accessible to everyone. Imagine an air taxi that takes off vertically, then quietly and quickly carries you over the congestion below, giving you back that time you’d otherwise spend sitting in traffic. Technology has advanced to the point where designing and operating an all-electric aircraft is completely viable. Our team has been discreetly designing and flight testing this vehicle and is looking for talented individuals to see it through certification and high rate production.
Joby Aviation is seeking an engineer to help make our batteries the safest in the industry. This person will lead our battery safety effort and drive aspects of our battery pack and vehicle designs. This person will also develop tests that will push our technology and help define the standards for eVTOL. The testing will encompass the full range of abuse—thermal, electrical, and mechanical—of individual cells and full scale battery packs, including propagation and short circuiting.
- Work with design and certification engineers to refine DO-311 requirements, execute tests, and document results
- Build out simplified thermal/statistical models to quantify design sensitivities and construct relevant DOEs
- Work with cell test engineers to develop abusive test testing conditions and quantify damage criteria to li-ion cells
- Analyze and present data-driven insights and interface with design and process engineers to drive decisions
- Build out testing capabilities by designing/maintaining custom test rigs and data visualization dashboards
- BS or MS in mechanical engineering, materials science, physics, or related field,
- Experience working with abuse testing at cell/module/pack levels and familiarity with safety testing standards such as UN 38.3, SAE 2464, RTCA DO-311,
- Knowledge of li-ion testing protocols or experience with battery testing/design
- Strong problem-solving mindset and knowledgeable in mechanical, thermal, and electrical systems
- Experience in instrumentation, data acquisition, and analysis
- Great written, verbal, and presentation skills
- Willingness to get hands dirty and work with team-members on all levels of test execution, from planning to final cleanup
- CAD experience, CATIA preferred,
- Python or other language for data processing and visualization,
- LabVIEW or other language for interfacing with hardware,
- CFD or thermal modeling skills
- Experience with cell testing hardware, such as Arbin/Maccor/Neware
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Electric Aerial Ridesharing