Junior Flight Test Engineer
Located in Northern California, the Joby Aviation team has been steadily working toward our goal of providing safe, affordable, fully electric air transportation that is accessible to everyone. Imagine an air taxi that takes off vertically, then quietly and quickly carries you over the congestion below, giving you back that time you’d otherwise spend sitting in traffic. Technology has advanced to the point where designing and operating an all-electric aircraft is completely viable. Our team has been discreetly designing and flight testing this vehicle and is looking for talented individuals to see it through certification and high rate production.
Joby Aviation is seeking a passionate and driven flight test engineer to join our flight test team. This role requires a range of knowledge and skill that includes developing flight test plans and reports for experimental CTOL/VTOL fly-by-wire aircraft, executing testing in a ground control station environment, test data analysis, flight test simulator development and all other tasks related to development and certification flight test activities. A can-do attitude is a must for this fast-paced environment in which every team member relies on each other to perform to their highest potential. Previous experience and/or training as flight test engineer is highly desirable. Near-term flight testing is planned to be conducted from a remote location; applicants must be willing to spend regular time away from home.
- Assist with development of a test program to strategically expand the envelope and capabilities of our vehicles from experimental development through certification flight test
- Assist with flight test planning, flight readiness reviews, flight briefs/debriefs and post flight analysis
- Participates in experimental flight testing as a crew member in the ground control station.
- Work with our simulation team to expand our flight simulator capability and fidelity
- Complete all required documentation in accordance with established company and FAA procedures
- May perform launch and recovery tasks of aircraft which include ground operations, preflight items, ground observer responsibilities, and post flight items
- May help develop flight manuals and supporting documentation necessary to operate the vehicles
- Responsible for observing all laws, regulations and other applicable obligations wherever and whenever business is conducted on behalf of the Company
- Expected to work in a safe manner in accordance with established operating procedures and practices
- Other duties as assigned or required
- Bachelors of Science (Aerospace, Mechanical or Electrical Engineering) degree or equivalent experience and training
- Excellent computer skills – proficiency with day to day applications used for email, word processing, etc, as well as data analysis experience using Matlab, Python, or similar.
- Excellent interpersonal skills to effectively communicate with colleagues across a wide range of technical disciplines
- Must be able to work both independently and on a team and be able to work extended hours and travel as required
- Read and speak English proficiently
- Fixed Wing and / or Rotorcraft Private Pilot License
- Previous experimental flight test experience as a Flight Test Engineer, preferably including VTOL flight test, or in a civil certification environment
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Electric Aerial Ridesharing