Product Quality Engineer (Various Disciplines)
Located in Northern California, the Joby Aviation team has been steadily working toward our goal of providing safe, affordable, fully electric air transportation that is accessible to everyone. Imagine an air taxi that takes off vertically, then quietly and quickly carries you over the congestion below, giving you back that time you’d otherwise spend sitting in traffic. Technology has advanced to the point where designing and operating an all-electric aircraft is completely viable. Our team has been discreetly designing and flight testing this vehicle and is looking for talented individuals to see it through certification and high rate production.
Joby Aviation is seeking a highly organized, passionate individuals to join our quality assurance team. As part of this team, you will oversee the quality aspects of Electronic/Electrical Assembly and Circuit Card Assembly design for VTOL electric aircraft. This Quality Engineering position will help baseline the company’s Electronic/Electrical Assembly and Circuit Card Assembly design efforts and pave the way to production. The Joby Aviation team is made up of extremely talented, hardworking, proactive, and hands-on individuals, operating in a very fast-paced and rewarding environment. We are looking to expand this team with like-minded individuals looking to make a mark in the transportation industry.
- Support the development, verification and manufacture of products using Advanced Production Quality Planning (APQP), Continuous Improvement and Statistical Process Control techniques
- Perform design review activities including inspectability, consistency, adequacy, accuracy, and conformance to requirements and provide recommendations for improvement
- Develop and manage data and metrics using data visualization tools to report and provide information with recommendations for product/process improvements and reduce cost of poor quality
- Perform product quality and quality management system reviews to assure compliance with drawings, work instructions and internal ISO9001/AS9100 and regulatory requirements
- Analyze product and process failures to ensure effective root cause analysis and implementation of corrective and preventive actions internally
- Understand risk and risk management as an essential part of the quality engineering work scope
- Review, identify, implement and maintain Supplier Quality flow down requirements and serve as Voice of the Customer for all Supplier quality-related activities including root cause corrective action
- Represent Quality on the Material Review Board (MRB) and Engineering Change Actions
- Responsible for participating in continual improvement activities to enhance the quality system, such as 5S, Kaizen lean methods, etc
- Employs mistake-proofing techniques
- Interface with Engineering and Operations to ensure transfer to Production of new products are in accordance with approved data
- Responsible for performing job duties in a manner consistent with established Joby Policies and Procedures.
- Works under general direction. Independently determines and develops approach to solutions. Work is reviewed upon completion for adequacy in meeting objectives.
- Review and accept internal and Supplier First Article Inspections
- Frequent inter-organizational and outside company contacts.
- Bachelor's Degree (Aerospace, Mechanical, Electrical or Industrial Engineering preferred).
- Minimum 5 years experience in Aerospace including minimum 2 years in at least one of the following disciplines: Additive, Composites, Mechanical, Systems, Electrical/Electronics.
- Aerospace product and process control – planning processes, material control, acceptance sampling and measurement systems.
- A fundamental understanding of quality philosophies, principles, systems, methods, tools, ISO9001 standards, organizational and team dynamics, customer expectations and satisfaction, supplier relations and performance, leadership, training, interpersonal relationships, improvement systems and professional ethics.
- AS9100 Quality Management System development and implementation
- AS9102 First Article Inspection development and implementation
- Quality Management – tracking, analyzing, reporting and problem solving.
- Knowledge of aerospace reliability, maintainability, and risk management, including key terms and definitions, modeling, systems design, assessment tools and reporting.
- Thorough understanding of problem-solving (corrective action) and quality improvement tools and techniques (eg: six sigma, lean). This includes knowledge of management and planning tools, quality tools, preventive and corrective actions, and how to overcome barriers to quality improvements.
- Understanding of controls and requirements necessary to ensure measurement quality and provide measurement assurance (Metrology).
- Ability to understand, interpret, and analyze process behavior to discover issues and find solutions for production issues (Statistical Process Control).
- Internal audits – audit types, planning, preparation, execution, reporting results and follow-up.
- Ability to read and interpret drawings of complex nature to develop in-process and receiving inspection plans.
- Development and presentation of quality reports for management review, corrective action and continuous improvement activities
- Demonstrates understanding and wide application of technical principles, theories, and concepts in the field.
- Possesses foresight in identifying future problems and proposes potential solutions to the team (proactive).
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills including writing skills
- Ability to work without supervision. Independent problem solver.
- Works with other disciplines to support goals of the business.
- Intermediate Microsoft Office experience
- PQE – Composites: Thorough understanding of Composites and Composite technologies, experience with Automated Fiber Placement, Carbon Fiber/Epoxy Fabric Prepregs, non-destructive test and inspection processes
- PQE – Additive: Thorough understanding of Additive Manufacturing and Additive technologies such as CDLP, DMLS/SLM
- POE - Mechanical: Thorough understanding of machines and mechanical engineering design, theory and principles, including measurement techniques.
- PQE – Electrical/Electronics: Comprehensive working knowledge of J-STD-001 and IPC-A-610. Understanding of IPC-A-600, IPC-6012, IPC-6013, IPC-6018, IPC-TM-650, MIL-STD-883 and subordinate CCA related standards/guidelines.
- PQE – Systems & Equipment: Understanding of aircraft systems, equipment and integration
- Certified Quality Engineer Certificate
- Certified IPC Trainer: IPC-A-610 and IPC-A-600
- Six Sigma Lean Manufacturing and Green Belt certification
- Experience with AS9145 Requirements for Advanced Product Quality Planning and Production Part Approval Process
- Familiarity with complex Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Electric Aerial Ridesharing