Test Equipment Design - Design Engineer
Located in Northern California, the Joby Aviation team has been steadily working toward our goal of providing safe, affordable, fully electric air transportation that is accessible to everyone. Imagine an air taxi that takes off vertically, then quietly and quickly carries you over the congestion below, giving you back that time you’d otherwise spend sitting in traffic. Technology has advanced to the point where designing and operating an all-electric aircraft is completely viable. Our team has been discreetly designing and flight testing this vehicle and is looking for talented individuals to see it through certification and high rate production.
Joby Aviation is seeking a highly organized, passionate individual to join our Testing Team. As part of this team you will design hardware to assemble, install, and perform validation and verification testing of flight critical components and systems for VTOL electric aircraft. Work may include detailed CAD design of parts and subassemblies, hands-on prototyping and integration of components into designs, on the fly modifications of systems to match modifications on the flight hardware, etc.
- Create, and mentor others in the design of hardware to assemble, install, and perform validation and verification testing of flight critical components and systems. This will require working closely with the Airframe and Actuators, Propulsion and Avionics, and Software teams, to capture the nuances of the components, system architectures, and operating conditions, that define the design requirements for these projects.
- Develop full designs, drawing packages, BOMs, and assembly instructions for the above projects. Additionally procure hardware from suppliers, and coordinate manufacturing with internal shops.
- Lead integration of designs and ensure that the systems meet the design requirements set out from the beginning. This may involve on-the-fly modifications of designs to keep up with modifications to the hardware to be assembled, installed, or tested.
- Manage the project status and timelines for the Integration and Testing Design Team and collaborate with Team Lead to ensure proper resource allocation to de-risk the critical paths.
- Create and implement tools to maximize Design Team productivity.
- Manage the hardware needs of the Design Team and provide recommendations for investment.
- M.S. in Mechanical Engineering or a relevant discipline
- 6+ years of work experience in relevant industry
- Strong engineering knowledge and instincts
- Excellent problem solving skills
- Strong communication and social skills. The ability to work with many different people and manage working relationships
- Hands-on attitude
- Proficiency in Computer Aided Design, and engineering drawing creation
- Experience in mechanical design and fabrication of heavily loaded components and structures, as well as high-precision components.
- Experience with design and fabrication of weldments, hydraulic systems, and pneumatic systems.
- Hands on machine shop skills using lathe, mill, welder, and other machine shop equipment.
- Experience with project execution from initial concept development through to final commissioning of system.
- Ph.D in relevant discipline
- 10+ years of work experience in relevant industry
- Experience with Dassault Systemes CAD, specifically using Generative Shape Design, Part Design and Assembly Design
- Project management experience
- Experience designing aerospace test equipment
- Experience with design of automated hardware, including sensor selection and implementation
- Experience with PLC programming and controller development for industrial equipment
- Experience with hardware in the loop testing
- Experience designing aircraft flight hardware and/or ground support equipment
- Experience with High Voltage systems
- Aircraft homebuilding or rapid prototyping experience is a plus
- Experience with aircraft FAA certification processes
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Electric Aerial Ridesharing