Powertrain and Electronics - Sr. Test Engineer (Battery Pack)
Located in Northern California, the Joby Aviation team has been steadily working toward our goal of providing safe, affordable, fully electric air transportation that is accessible to everyone. Imagine an air taxi that takes off vertically, then quietly and quickly carries you over the congestion below, giving you back that time you’d otherwise spend sitting in traffic. Technology has advanced to the point where designing and operating an all-electric aircraft is completely viable. Our team has been discreetly designing and flight testing this vehicle and is looking for talented individuals to see it through certification and high rate production.
Joby Aviation is seeking a highly organized, passionate individual to join our Testing team. As part of this team, you will contribute to the development of flight-critical components and subsystems for VTOL electric aircraft. The Joby Aviation team is made up of extremely talented, hardworking, proactive, and hands-on individuals, operating in a very fast-paced and rewarding environment. We are looking to expand this team with like-minded individuals looking to make a mark in the transportation industry.
- Work closely with Battery Management System (BMS) firmware engineers and perform battery pack-level verification and validation tests to evaluate battery algorithm (SoC, SoE, etc) performance.
- Develop formal test plans and procedures with proper level of instrumentation and data collection capability, such that test results are repeatable and consistent.
- Perform acceptance tests on flight intended battery packs (for flight integration) and prepare flight article documents.
- Collaborate with battery design engineering team and other test engineers and perform various battery pack environment compliance testing. This includes thermal and humidity cycling, vibration & shock, electromagnetic interference, and more.
- Prepare and conduct long term durability tests on the pack mechanical structure.
- Perform characterization, qualification, & reliability tests on components of the battery pack (includes contactors, special-connectors, fuses, PCBs).
- Analyze data collected during the aforementioned tests to generate reports to provide quantifiable feedback to the battery design engineering team that will allow them to optimize their designs.
- Coordinate and lead test kickoff, test preparation, preliminary and critical test review, and data review meetings to align the above activities.
- Organize and maintain the battery test area and equipment, while strictly adhering to best practices, proper documentation and safety awareness.
- Work closely with battery design engineering team and other test engineers to aid in the incremental automation of pack- & BMS-functional test setup.
- Minimum Bachelor's Degree in Electrical, Mechanical, Chemical or other relevant discipline with experience working on Battery Packs.
- Experience working with high-voltage, high power systems
- Experience with high voltage electric vehicle power electronics systems
- Experience with environmental stress testing including thermal and humidity cycling, vibration, electromagnetic interference etc
- Basic domain knowledge including battery monitoring techniques, cell and pack failure modes and failure mitigation, high voltage safety
- Strong data handling, processing, and presentation skills
- Positive attitude and willingness to work individually and as part of a team
- Excellent problem-solving techniques and analytical ability.
- Maintains a clean work-space and inventory of tools and equipment
- Experience with Battery Management Systems hardware is a plus
- Experience testing hardware to DO-160, DO-311A, SAE, MIL-810 or similar standards
- Familiarity with battery pack cycle test equipment.
- Experienced with high voltage Lithium-ion battery systems.
- Experience with instrumentation (e.g. contactors, current/voltage sensors, thermocouples, accelerometers, strain gauges) and data acquisition.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Electric Aerial Ridesharing