Airframe and Actuators - Test Engineer (Data & Controls)
Located in Northern California, the Joby Aviation team has been steadily working toward our goal of providing safe, affordable, fully electric air transportation that is accessible to everyone. Imagine an air taxi that takes off vertically, then quietly and quickly carries you over the congestion below, giving you back that time you’d otherwise spend sitting in traffic. Technology has advanced to the point where designing and operating an all-electric aircraft is completely viable.
We are seeking a motivated individual to join our Testing team to develop the data acquisition, controls and hardware/software interface tools needed to perform and automate structural, environmental, and functional tests of flight-critical components and subsystems for VTOL electric aircraft. The data collected during these tests will inform the company’s hardware design efforts and pave the way to production-ready hardware. The Joby Aviation team is made up of extremely talented, hardworking, proactive, and hands-on individuals, operating in a very fast-paced and rewarding environment. We are looking to expand this team with like-minded individuals looking to make a mark in the transportation industry.
- Work in a small team to develop a test software ecosystem that allows for automation of new and existing testing platforms, using NI LabView and a variety of industry and propriety platforms.
- Develop instrumentation and controls hardware, test fixture GUI, LabView VIs and any other necessary tools to enable test execution and automation.
- Specify, review and incorporate new types of data acquisition instruments into Joby’s data pipeline.
- Analyze data collected during the tests to generate reports to provide quantifiable feedback to the engineering teams that will allow them to optimize their designs.
- Help to guide the architecture of testing software to help smooth the transition from R&D testing into manufacturing acceptance testing.
- B.S. in Electrical or Computer Science Engineering or relevant discipline
- 5+ years of relevant work experience
- Experience with data acquisition hardware such as ammeters, foil strain gauges, accelerometers, load cells, thermistors, transducers, etc. (including sensor installation)
- Fluent in using LabVIEW for data collection, automation and control
- Experience using LabView for data collection and Diadem/MATLAB for data processing
- Experience using scripting languages to build and integrate complex software systems
- Excellent problem solving and communication skills
- Hands-on attitude with strong analytical background
- M.S./Ph.D. in relevant discipline
- Experience with industrial test laboratory environments and procedures
- Experience with NI TestStand & Knowledge of NI Hardware
- Hands-on machine shop skills using lathe, mill, welder, and other machine shop equipment
- Experience with high voltage electronics.
- Experience testing aircraft composite structures.
- Experience testing aircraft mechanical systems.
- Aerospace and rapid prototyping experience
- Experience working with LabVIEW Real Time for control and data acquisition
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Electric Aerial Ridesharing