Certification Engineer, Flight Control Systems
Located in Northern California, the Joby Aviation team has been steadily working toward our goal of providing safe, affordable, fully electric air transportation that is accessible to everyone. Imagine an air taxi that takes off vertically, then quietly and quickly carries you over the congestion below, giving you back that time you’d otherwise spend sitting in traffic. Technology has advanced to the point where designing and operating an all-electric aircraft is completely viable. Our team has been discreetly designing and flight testing this vehicle and is looking for talented individuals to see it through certification and high rate production.
Joby Aviation is looking for engineers experienced with civil aviation certification to join our growing team. This role will serve as an internal Subject Matter Expert as well as a primary external point of contact with regulatory agencies and industry standards groups for aircraft, system, and equipment-level aspects of advanced fly-by-wire flight control systems.
Certification engineers will work closely with multiple design engineering and test teams to ensure designs comply with all federal airworthiness regulations. This position requires a solid understanding of aircraft systems, system development, and industry-specific certification processes. It is preferred that this individual be an FAA DER or candidate. The most important traits at Joby are a positive attitude towards the project, strong work ethic, and being able to self-manage and learn new skills. Forward thinking and the ability to adapt quickly to a fast-paced environment are a must.
- Responsible for certification aspects of some or all systems and equipment related to:
- Flight Controls.
- Automatic Flight Controls.
- Propulsion Controls.
- Guidance and Navigation.
- Determining and interpreting the certification basis and establishing compliance strategies – including means and methods of compliance.
- Developing, reviewing, and approving certification-related documents, including:
- Issue Papers, Special Conditions, Equivalent Levels of Safety, etc.
- Certification Plans and Summaries.
- Test Plans and Reports.
- Design and Analysis Reports.
- Requests for Conformity, Statements of Compliance.
- Working with and mentoring multiple engineering teams with a mix of aerospace and non-aerospace backgrounds to:
- Establish relevant design development and certification plans that will support Type Certification.
- Convey and document requirements in a way that clearly breaks down the regulations and guidance material.
- Develop engineering specifications for flight and propulsion control systems and equipment.
- Review designs, develop solutions, and ensure compliance with the airworthiness standards.
- Planning out test campaigns, overseeing test article fabrication, and witnessing tests in order to demonstrate that applicable designs show compliance with airworthiness standards.
- Interfacing with certification authorities as required (FAA, EASA, etc.)
- Previous experience with design and verification of advanced fly-by-wire systems.
- Expert-level understanding of 2X.1309 analyses and processes, including Advisory Circular 23.1309-1E, SAE ARP4761, and SAE ARP4754A.
- Expert-level understanding of RTCA/DO-160 Environmental Conditions and Test Procedures for Airborne Equipment.
- Previous FAA certification experience with electrical systems and equipment.
- The ability to question traditional assumptions in the application of regulations, guidance material, and engineering specifications.
- The ability to read, review, and create technical schematics, engineering specifications, and engineering drawings.
- At least 10 years of relevant aviation or aerospace industry experience.
- A Bachelor of Science in an applicable engineering discipline.
- Proficient in English.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office products
- An FAA Designated Engineering Representative (DER) – Systems and Equipment (Electrical Equipment).
- Whole-aircraft FAA certification program experience, Part 23 or Part 27 experience preferred.
- Working knowledge of SAE AS94900A General Specification for Vehicle Management Systems.
- Experience in testing including instrumenting, data acquisition, and documenting and analyzing results.
- Experience and involvement with industry groups to develop consensus standards.
- A private pilot certificate, advanced ratings and experience flying multiple aircraft types preferred.
- Familiar with Dassault Systemes engineering and management tools
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Electric Aerial Ridesharing