Airframe and Actuators - Test Engineer (Structures)
Located in Northern California, the Joby Aviation team has been steadily working toward our goal of providing safe, affordable, fully electric air transportation that is accessible to everyone. Imagine an air taxi that takes off vertically, then quietly and quickly carries you over the congestion below, giving you back that time you’d otherwise spend sitting in traffic. Technology has advanced to the point where designing and operating an all-electric aircraft is completely viable. Our team has been discreetly designing and flight testing this vehicle and is looking for talented individuals to see it through certification and high rate production.
Working as a Structural Test Engineer, you will support the Testing Team. As part of this team you will perform structural testing of flight critical structures for VTOL electric aircrafts. The data collected during these tests will inform the company’s hardware design efforts and pave the way to safe, production-ready airframes.
- Create test setups to validate the structural characteristics of primary and secondary aircraft structures (primarily composite) by working closely with the aircraft design teams to capture the nuances of aircraft design loads and operating conditions.
- Develop formal test plans, test procedures, instrumentation plans, test stand/fixture designs, data acquisition architectures, and any other necessary tools to allow for thorough and repeatable testing of specimens as discussed.
- Analyze data collected during the aforementioned tests to generate reports that will provide quantifiable feedback to the engineering teams that will allow them to optimize their designs.
- B.S. in Mechanical Engineering or a relevant discipline
- Excellent problem solving and communication skills.
- Strong analytical background.
- Hands-on attitude.
- Experience with testing of composite structures.
- Experience using sensors such as foil strain gauges, linear potentiometers, string potentiometers, accelerometers, etc. (including sensor installation).
- Fluent in data acquisition techniques, signal conditioning, and data processing techniques associated with above sensors.
- Experience with mechanical design of complex assemblies and manufacturing drawing creation, including weldments.
- Proficiency in Computer Aided Design.
- M.S./Ph.D in relevant discipline.
- 2+ years of work experience in relevant industry.
- Experience with industrial test laboratory environments and procedures.
- Experience with Dassault Systemes CAD, specifically using Generative Shape Design, Part Design and Assembly Design.
- Experience testing aircraft composite structures.
- Experience working with fiber optic strain gauges.
- Hands on machine shop skills using lathe, mill, welder, and other machine shop equipment.
- Aircraft homebuilding or rapid prototyping experience is a plus.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Electric Aerial Ridesharing