Airframe Assembly Manufacturing Engineer
Located in Northern California, the Joby Aviation team has been steadily working toward our goal of providing safe, affordable, fully electric air transportation that is accessible to everyone. Imagine an air taxi that takes off vertically, then quietly and quickly carries you over the congestion below, giving you back that time you’d otherwise spend sitting in traffic. Technology has advanced to the point where designing and operating an all-electric aircraft is completely viable. Our team has been discreetly designing and flight testing this vehicle and is looking for talented individuals to see it through certification and high rate production.
You are efficient in the office and on the shop floor. Working as an Airframe Assembly Manufacturing Engineer in our Marina location you will be responsible for creating, updating and evaluating new production assembly lines. Your core responsibilities will include implementation manufacturing process, improvement, design and development of manufacturing tooling and equipment, and assistance in DFM processes for improved quality and costs. You will participate in manufacturability assessments working closely with the design engineering teams and aligning with other systems. You have extensive experience with a wide variety of assembly and manufacturing processes, automation of processes, cost analysis for outsourcing of processes, and paperless workflow systems.
- Creates, designs and modifies assembly lines within plant facilities to ensure the most efficient and productive layout, and that standard factory techniques are used.
- Develops, implements and evaluates operations sequences across multiple business units, leverages best practices for operations and installations and specifies procedures for the fabrication of tools and equipment and other processes, including more complex disassembly/assembly and repairs, to ensure efficiency and optimize performance.
- Designs and implements manufacturing processes, across multiple cells and sites, that are applicable to statistical process control to ensure compliance and effective production.
- Evaluates and ensures mandatory modification, programs, and bulletins are incorporated or complied with, as required by Joby and the applicable regulatory requirements, to ensure legal compliance and adherence to quality standards.
- Recommends opportunities and executes changes to improve products or reduce costs using knowledge of fabrication processes, tooling and production equipment, assembly methods, quality control standards, or product design, materials and parts to optimize productivity and ensure optimal use of resources.
- Reviews and validates recommendations regarding manufacturability of existing and future products and advises modifications or adaptations to address quality, customer, product, or productivity constraints.
- Designs and develops manufacturing processes for products, taking into consideration problems inherent in the transfer of technology from research to manufacturing. Such design and development may include new or revised processes.
- Ability to work cross functionally with operations, maintenance, quality, and design to implement robust processes.
- Develops/Conducts tests and measurements throughout stages of production to determine control over applicable variables; and services, troubleshoots and solves production process problems with processes or equipment already in operation.
- Reviews field support requirements and recommends tools and test equipment.
- Determines maintenance and repair materials required for deployment.
- May make recommendations concerning acquisition and use of new technological equipment and materials
- MRP systems and MES systems
- CAD/PLM, preferably Catia v5, Catia v6, Enovia
- Strong experience with MS Project, Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- 10+ years experience in aerospace manufacturing, assembly lines, manufacturing operations and materials knowledge
- Experience developing fixtures, jigs, shop aids using CAD
- Experience with development and deployment of manufacturing automation and with remaining current with technology
- Experience with drawings and BOMs; Assembly Instructions; Engineering Change systems; Quality systems for non-conforming parts and corrective action.
- Experience with Lean Manufacturing methodologies for waste reduction, e.g.: 5S, Standard Work, TAKT, Pull System, 5S, Value Stream Mapping, cell design, and manufacturing flow.
- Experience with process mapping and demand flow implementations
- Strong background in electro-mechanical assemblies.
- Six Sigma Green Belt preferred.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Well developed interpersonal skills
- Detail oriented
- Bachelor’s Degree in relevant field
- General working knowledge of complex aerospace manufacturing
- General working knowledge of Enterprise Resource Planning software. (ERP)
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Electric Aerial Ridesharing