Electrical Engineer - Battery Management
Located in Northern California, the Joby Aviation team has been steadily working toward our goal of providing safe, affordable, fully electric air transportation that is accessible to everyone. Imagine an air taxi that takes off vertically, then quietly and quickly carries you over the congestion below, giving you back that time you’d otherwise spend sitting in traffic. Technology has advanced to the point where designing and operating an all-electric aircraft is completely viable. Our team has been discreetly designing and flight testing this vehicle and is looking for talented individuals to see it through certification and high rate production.
Joby is seeking a talented electrical engineer to join our team designing all-electric aircraft. This engineer will work closely with mechanical, software, and other cross-functional teams. You'll be taking ownership of key electrical subsystems and printed-circuit-boards of the battery-management-system from design through prototyping, characterization, certification, and to product. This is a hands-on position. Optimizing designs for reliability, weight, and efficiency will be a focus.
- Create clear and readable schematics for digital and mixed-signal printed-circuit-boards.
- Component selection for minimum mass and maximum reliability.
- Investigate modern technologies for battery control, monitoring, and management
- Work with PCB designers to create reliable and low-weight layouts.
- Write requirements, participate in DFMEAs + create and carry out test and validation plans.
- Strong EE fundamentals, including familiarity with:
- Power conversion (linear and switching regulators)
- Signal conditioning and conversion (ADCs, filters)
- Discrete semiconductor design (FETs, BJTs, Diodes)
- Microcontrollers and digital interfaces (I2C, SPI, etc)
- Schematic capture and PCB design
- Experience with component selection
- Hands-on experience with building and debugging hardware
- Great communication skills
- Career experience working on battery management hardware
- B.S. in electrical engineering or related discipline
- M.S./Ph.D. in relevant discipline
- 2+ years of working experience in relevant industry
- Familiarity with Altium Designer
- High voltage electrical design (400V+)
- Exposure to regulatory certification
- Design-for-reliability, including use of DFMEA and fault trees
- Designing for high EMI environments
- Understanding of lithium-ion behavior and chemistry
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Electric Aerial Ridesharing