Materials & Process Lead
This job is no longer accepting applications.
Located in Northern California, the Joby Aviation team has been steadily working toward our goal of providing safe, affordable, fully electric air transportation that is accessible to everyone. Imagine an air taxi that takes off vertically, then quietly and quickly carries you over the congestion below, giving you back that time you’d otherwise spend sitting in traffic. Technology has advanced to the point where designing and operating an all-electric aircraft is completely viable. Our team has been discreetly designing and flight testing this vehicle and is looking for talented individuals to see it through certification and high rate production.
The Materials and Processes (M&P) Lead will head the M&P engineering team towards the goal of development, certification and production of eVTOL aircraft. The role involves leading engineers on the team in accordance with internal and regulatory requirements.
- Support design and manufacturing engineers by providing guidance in material selection including fasteners and hardware
- Identify and evaluate metallic forming processes, heat treatment processes, metallic joining techniques and corrosion protection
- Analyze and map manufacturing process parameters to resultant mechanical properties.
- Develop internal process specifications and support manufacturing and quality to ensure process repeatability and conformity
- Develop and maintain internal material specifications
- Create test plans, evaluate data, complete technical reports and identify further testing or development work.
- Work with FAA Engineering and MIDO to develop compliance showing data for structural materials and special processes
- Evaluate suppliers to ensure they meet specification requirements and design intent
- Work with design, stress and manufacturing engineers to achieve robust and efficient processes to manufacture the eVTOL aircraft
- M.S. in mechanical engineering, aerospace engineering or a relevant discipline
- 5+ Years experience in the aerospace industry
- Knowledge of metallic , composite and nonmetallic materials, corrosion and failure modes of materials
- Familiarity with aerospace materials, fasteners and processes
- Strong communication and coordination skills
- Ph.D. in relevant discipline
- 10+ years of working experience in an aerospace production environment
- Experience with ore to formed material processing, especially metallic powders
- Experience with fabrication techniques such as casting, additive manufacturing, welding
- Experience in authoring and revising materials and process specifications
- Experience with FAA certification programs
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Electric Aerial Ridesharing