Mechanical Engineer, Windows and Transparencies
This job is no longer accepting applications.
Located in Northern California, the Joby Aviation team has been steadily working toward our goal of providing safe, affordable, fully electric air transportation that is accessible to everyone. Imagine an air taxi that takes off vertically, then quietly and quickly carries you over the congestion below, giving you back that time you’d otherwise spend sitting in traffic. Technology has advanced to the point where designing and operating an all-electric aircraft is completely viable. Our team has been discreetly designing and flight testing this vehicle and is looking for talented individuals to see it through certification and high rate production.
Joby is seeking a motivated individual to join our mechanical engineering team. This individual will be responsible for the design and integration of flight critical transparencies which includes occupant windows as well as conformal exterior and interior light covers. A core competency in this role is expertise in acrylic and polycarbonate materials as well as bonding and fastening strategies of such substrates to carbon fiber structure. This role will involve design work starting at the conceptual level, maturing into full 3D modeling, FEA and hand calculations, and continuing into manufacturing, impact testing, integration, and in service support. A strong knowledge of material selection, tolerances, optical and conductive coatings, sealants and seals, mechanical hardware, GD&T, and drafting standards are required. Hands-on experience, a ‘get it done’ attitude, and the ability to work well with a cross-functional team and outside vendors/contractors is very important. This position is rewarding, as the engineer will promptly see their ideas grow from concept to creation due to the fast pace of Joby Aviation. Please include a cover letter with your application. If you have no experience with transparents, please ellaborate on why you are interested and why you feel you are a match to this position.
- Development of flight critical occupant transparencies
- Development of potentially complex conformal exterior light covers
- Development of interior light covers
- Creation and maintenance of technical drawings and bill of materials
- Collaboration with engineers & technicians to support materials and processes, manufacturing, integration, test, and certification
- B.S. in relevant discipline (mechanical engineering, physics with emphasis in optics, materials engineering)
- 1+ year of working experience in relevant industry
- Strong volumetric awareness and attention to detail
- Mastery of stay out zones, managing clashing interferences, and tolerancing
- Ability to design complex systems to strict aerospace standards
- Proficiency in mechanical design, materials selection, troubleshooting, and analysis
- Excellent teamwork and communication skills
- Proficiency with CAD
- M.S. in relevant discipline
- Experience testing windows under high speed impact
- Experience with conductive window coatings and lightning protection
- Experience with protective window coatings and tinting
- Expereince with window bonding
- 5+ years of working experience in relevant industry
- Certification experience to FAR Part 23/25/27/29
- Experience with Dassault Systemes CATIA Part Design and Assembly Design
- Proficiency with FEA
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Electric Aerial Ridesharing