System Test - Test Engineer
This job is no longer accepting applications.
Located in Northern California, the Joby Aviation team has been steadily working toward our goal of providing safe, affordable, fully electric air transportation that is accessible to everyone. Imagine an air taxi that takes off vertically, then quietly and quickly carries you over the congestion below, giving you back that time you’d otherwise spend sitting in traffic. Technology has advanced to the point where designing and operating an all-electric aircraft is completely viable. Our team has been discreetly designing and flight testing this vehicle and is looking for talented individuals to see it through certification and high rate production.
Joby Aviation is seeking a highly organized, passionate individual to join our system testing team. As part of this team, you will perform structural, environmental, and functional tests of flight critical components and subsystems for VTOL electric aircraft. The data collected during these tests will inform the company’s hardware design efforts and pave the way to production-ready hardware. The Joby Aviation team is made up of extremely talented, hardworking, proactive, and hands-on individuals, operating in a very fast-paced and rewarding environment. We are looking to expand this team with like-minded individuals looking to make a mark in the transportation industry.
- Use proprietary or open-source testing tools or frameworks, create Hardware In the Loop (HIL) tests for software, electrical, mechanical, and energy components of the aircraft system
- Create test setups for aircraft hardware by working closely with the mechanical, electrical, energy systems, and software teams, to capture the nuances of aircraft components, subsystem architectures, and operating conditions, and turn them into representative tests that will allow for validation of component and system designs
- Develop formal test procedures, instrumentation guidelines, test fixture designs, LabView VIs and any other necessary tools to allow for repeatable testing of specimens as discussed
- Perform structural, environmental, and functional tests on specific hardware to validate its design and manufacturing against established benchmarks
- Analyze data collected during the aforementioned tests to generate reports to provide quantifiable feedback to the engineering teams that will allow them to optimize their designs
- B.S. in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Aerospace Engineering, or equivalent real-world experience
- Experience developing Hardware In the Loop tests
- Experience with data acquisition techniques and LabVIEW
- Experience with mechanical design and manufacturing drawing creation
- Strong analytical background
- Excellent problem solving and communication skills
- M.S./Ph.D. in relevant discipline
- 5+ years of work experience in relevant industry
- Experience with high-voltage electronics
- Fluent in Python for test software creation
- Experience with aircraft certification (DO-178B and DO-178C), regulatory requirements, compliance testing, aircraft software engineering processes, and test verification
- Experience with industrial test laboratory environments and procedures
- Experience with Altium schematic capture
- Hands-on machine shop skills using lathe, mill, welder, and other machine shop equipment
- Aircraft homebuilding or rapid prototyping experience is a plus
- Polarion requirements and test case documentation experienced a plus
Please include a cover letter with your application.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Electric Aerial Ridesharing