This job is no longer accepting applications.
Located in Northern California, the Joby Aviation team has been steadily working toward our goal of providing safe, affordable, fully electric air transportation that is accessible to everyone. Imagine an air taxi that takes off vertically, then quietly and quickly carries you over the congestion below, giving you back that time you’d otherwise spend sitting in traffic. Technology has advanced to the point where designing and operating an all-electric aircraft is completely viable. Our team has been discreetly designing and flight testing this vehicle and is looking for talented individuals to see it through certification and high rate production.
We are a rapidly growing team building mission critical software products supporting Joby Aviation’s vision to save 1 billion people an hour every day through electric powered flight. As an airspace engineer you’ll help to develop the concepts, procedures, operational patterns, and technical requirements necessary for our fleet of aircraft to safely and efficiently interoperate with other users of the airspace. You will conduct this work within a multi-functional team including product, operations, infrastructure, and engineering representatives. You will also interact with external stakeholders like air traffic controllers, airport operators, and airspace users. The product of your work will likely lay the foundation for the future of urban aviation operations and set precedents for how those operations will scale in the future.
- Analyze current and predicted future airspace operations with respect to integrating our growing fleet of aircraft
- Develop concepts, procedures, operational patterns, and technical requirements for safe and efficient airspace integration
- Develop preferred approach and departure procedures according to all applicable standards
- Work with internal and external stakeholders to streamline airspace integration processes within the regulatory framework, including the development of certificates of authorization, waivers, and/or letters of agreement
- BA/BS in an engineering, mathematics, or relevant scientific discipline
- 5+ years of relevant experience in the aviation industry
- Detailed understanding of the structure and functions of the US air traffic management system
- Expertise in a broad range of aviation domains, particularly the range of responsibilities assigned to air traffic controllers and pilots operating fixed wing aircraft or rotorcraft
- Understanding of FAA processes and procedures, including the manner in which new types of operations are approved through certificates of authorization, waivers, and letters of agreement
- Strong technical background, able to develop methodologies for improving access to airspace, analyze approaches, document findings, and present recommendations to internal and external stakeholders
- Experience working cross functionally with product, operations, infrastructure, engineering and external stakeholders
- Data-driven decision making to solve airspace integration challenges that have yet to be identified
- Thrive in solving novel problems for which there are few existing precedents or methodologies
- Professional pilot and/or air traffic controller experience
- Familiarity with geographic information system (GIS) or flight planning software
- Detailed understanding of the structure and functions of non-US air traffic management systems
- Knowledge of the UAS traffic management system (UTM) and proposed extensions to urban air mobility
- Ability to code in support of analysis in an appropriate scientific computing environment (e.g Python, Matlab)
- Prior participation with standards development organizations
- Understanding of FAA’s processes related to airspace, including airspace analyses, safety risk management, letters of agreement, and certificates of authorization or waiver (COAs)
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Electric Aerial Ridesharing