Systems Engineer, Aviation Databus and Network
This job is no longer accepting applications.
Located in Northern California, the Joby Aviation team has been steadily working toward our goal of providing safe, affordable, fully electric air transportation that is accessible to everyone. Imagine an air taxi that takes off vertically, then quietly and quickly carries you over the congestion below, giving you back that time you’d otherwise spend sitting in traffic. Technology has advanced to the point where designing and operating an all-electric aircraft is completely viable. Our team has been discreetly designing and flight testing this vehicle and is looking for talented individuals to see it through certification and high rate production.
Joby Aviation is looking for a passionate engineer that can join our growing team. As a Systems Engineer working with the avionics and network teams, you will be part of a multi-functional team comprised of Systems and Hardware engineers leading development of our next generation aircraft architecture. This multidisciplinary position provides the engineer a chance to interact with many of the key teams within the company.
The Systems Engineer, Aviation Databus and Network will own the architecture, integration, and life-cycle success of the aviation network system and its equipment, ranging from requirements management, development, certification, and entry into service. Systems Engineers will coordinate between the various departments - Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Software, Flight Test, Manufacturing, Operations - as necessary to ensure the technical success of their systems. Systems Engineers will work very closely with FAA Engineers and Joby DERs to ensure their responsible systems comply with all federal airworthiness regulations.
This position requires a solid understanding of aircraft systems, specifically power distribution systems and/or and aviation communication networks. This position also requires knowledge and experience with aviation system development and certification processes. The most important traits at Joby are attitude towards the project, hard work ethic, and being able to self-manage and learn new skills. Forward thinking and thriving in a face-paced environment are highly regarded as well
- Leading the effort to verify compliance to AC 20-156 for a flight-critical data bus
- Requirement analysis, definition, validation, and verification for aviation databus systems and equipment
- System and item level integration and requirements verification testing
- Serve as the system-level expert for integration and coordination activities with various departments and the certification authorities
- Conduct multi-disciplinary design reviews throughout the different phases of development, certification, and production readiness as required to coordinate and communicate system design projects
- Conduct trade studies, analyses, and test programs as necessary to validate system architectures meet all requirements
- Collaborates and adds value through participation in:
- -System safety analyses, such as FHAs, FTAs, CCAs, etc.
- -Engineering drawings, schematics, and design specifications
- -System and equipment test plans and reports
- -Compliance documentation
- -System engineering processes
- Coordinate as required to execute and manage system design projects, testing, certification, production readiness, etc.
- Work with various company departments to ensure equipment and low-level designs meet all system and aircraft-level requirements
- Various project management tasks as required
- Working knowledge of Aviation Databus design and assurance, including AC 20-156
- Working knowledge of 2X.1309 analyses and processes, including AC 23.1309-1E, SAE ARP 4761, and SAE ARP 4754A
- Working knowledge of DO-160G environmental qualification
- Basic knowledge of FAA regulations and guidance material and industry standards
- Skilled at creating and reviewing technical schematics, logical and functional diagrams, and engineering specifications
- Excellent problem solving, communication, and technical writing skills
- Bachelor of Science degree in a related engineering discipline
- 3+ years of relevant industry experience
- Proficient in English
- Proficient with Microsoft Office and Google Docs
- Working knowledge of IEEE 802.3 Ethernet
- Working knowledge of DO-178C and DO-254 processes
- Aircraft-level FAA certification program experience
- Working knowledge of avionics and related equipment, technical standard orders (TSO), and minimum performance standards
- Previous experience managing complex sets of requirements
- Previous experience preparing and presenting design reviews for complex, highly integrated systems
- Previous experience in testing, including instrumenting, data acquisition, and documenting and analyzing results
- Experience and involvement with industry groups to develop consensus standards
- 10+ years of relevant industry experience
- Familiar with systems engineering process and requirements management tools
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Electric Aerial Ridesharing