Mechanical Engineer - Rotating Machinery
This job is no longer accepting applications.
Located in Northern California, the Joby Aviation team has been steadily working toward our goal of providing safe, affordable, fully electric air transportation that is accessible to everyone. Imagine an air taxi that takes off vertically, then quietly and quickly carries you over the congestion below, giving you back that time you’d otherwise spend sitting in traffic. Technology has advanced to the point where designing and operating an all-electric aircraft is completely viable. Our team has been discreetly designing and flight testing this vehicle and is looking for talented individuals to see it through certification and high rate production.
Mechanical Engineer with specialized experience in designing rotating equipment. This position will specifically focus on development of high performance dynamic seals and bearings for various motors throughout the aircraft. Experience with developing energized lip seals, fluid dynamic bearing style seals, or other novel seal technologies a plus.
- Develop full designs, drawing packages, BOMs, and assembly instructions for the above projects. Additionally procure hardware from suppliers, and coordinate manufacturing with internal shops
- Lead integration of designs and ensure that the systems meet the design requirements set out from the beginning. This may involve on-the-fly modifications of designs to keep up with modifications to the hardware to be assembled, installed, or tested
- Interfaces closely with manufacturing, testing, and certification teams to see designs all the way through to production and beyond
- B.S. in Mechanical Engineering or a relevant discipline
- 3+ years of work experience in relevant industry
- Strong engineering knowledge and instincts
- Excellent problem solving skills
- Strong communication and social skills. The ability to work with many different people and manage working relationships
- Hands-on attitude
- Proficiency in Computer Aided Design, and engineering drawing creation
- Experience in mechanical design and fabrication of heavily loaded components and structures, as well as high-precision components
- Hands on machine shop skills using lathe, mill, welder, and other machine shop equipment
- Experience with project execution from initial concept development through to final commissioning of system
- M.S. or Ph.D in relevant discipline (tribology, electric motor or other rotating equipment design, etc)
- 5+ years of work experience in relevant industry
- Experience with Dassault Systemes CAD, specifically using Part Design, Assembly Design, and Drafting
- Project management experience
- Experience designing aircraft flight hardware and/or ground support equipment
- Experience with High Voltage systems
- Aircraft homebuilding or rapid prototyping experience is a plus
- Experience with aircraft FAA certification processes
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Electric Aerial Ridesharing