Design Engineer, Actuators
Located in Northern California, the Joby Aviation team has been steadily working toward our goal of providing safe, affordable, fully electric air transportation that is accessible to everyone. Imagine an air taxi that takes off vertically, then quietly and quickly carries you over the congestion below, giving you back that time you’d otherwise spend sitting in traffic. Technology has advanced to the point where designing and operating an all-electric aircraft is completely viable. Our team has been discreetly designing and flight testing this vehicle and is looking for talented individuals to see it through certification and high rate production.
Joby Aviation is seeking a motivated individual to join our airframe and actuators team. This individual will be responsible for the design and certification of flight critical electro-mechanical actuators. This role will involve management of existing requirements and drafting new requirements, conceptual and detailed CAD design, drawing creation, hardware selection and procurement, and drafting of documentation for certification. This role will also require support in the manufacturing of prototype and production flyaway actuators, component and system testing, data analysis, and implementing design changes driven by learnings from test and operation. A strong knowledge of metallics, coatings, bearings, resolvers, encoders, brushless DC motors, seals, mechanical hardware, GD&T, and drafting standards are required. Experience in the certification of aerospace actuators is highly desirable. Hands-on experience and a “get it done" attitude are key for this position. This position is rewarding for engineers that value seeing their ideas rapidly grow from concept to creation due to Joby Aviation’s fast development pace.
- Ensuring actuators meet all performance and certification requirements
- Detailed layout of actuator mechanical and electrical design elements
- Collaboration with engineering and certification teams to incorporate best practices
- Ability and willingness to ‘get your hands dirty’ in the assembly and testing of actuators
- Support of technicians and flight test personnel during integration and flight testing
- Creation and maintenance of technical drawings and bill of materials
- Support of certification process through documentation and communication
- B.S. in Mechanical Engineering or another relevant discipline
- 5+ years of work experience in a relevant industry
- Ability to visualize complex 3D systems
- Keen eye for detail and willingness to design to strict aerospace standards
- Ability to select appropriate materials, coatings, and hardware to support design
- Excellent teamwork and communication skills
- Proficiency with CAD
- M.S/Ph.D. in Mechanical Engineering or another relevant discipline
- 8+ years work experience in relevant industry
- Certification experience to FAR Part 23/25/27/29
- Experience designing and certifying precision rotating electromechanical systems
- Experience with Dassault Systemes CATIA Part Design and Assembly Design
- Experience working with brushless DC motors
Please include a cover letter with your application.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Electric Aerial Ridesharing