Director of NPI Manufacturing
AEye creates high-performance, adaptive, AI-driven LiDAR systems for vehicle autonomy, advanced driver-assistance, and robotic vision applications. AEye’s software-driven system leverages deterministic AI to capture more intelligent information with less data, enabling faster, more accurate, and more reliable perception for everything that moves. The company is based in the San Francisco Bay Area, and backed by world-renowned investors including Kleiner Perkins, Taiwania Capital, GM Ventures, Intel Capital, Continental AG, Hella Ventures, LG Electronics, Aisin, Airbus Ventures, SK Hynix, Subaru-SBI, and Tyche Partners.
AEye is looking for a seasoned Director of NPI Manufacturing to lead, manage and align the NPI Engineering team to drive the manufacturing of emerging products and technology.
The Director of NPI Manufacturing is responsible for improving manufacturing processes leveraging software, automation, fixtures, test equipment and machines for the purpose of producing quality products, reducing cost and eliminating waste.
As part of the NPI team, this role involves collaborative leadership working with other NPI functions including NPI Program Management, NPI Engineering and Supply Base Engineering, as well as other AEye teams, including R&D, Product Engineering, Manufacturing and Quality.
As the Director of NPI Manufacturing, you will be accountable for the design and development of tests and automated processes used in production. You will be hands-on and directly involved with setting up a low volume prototype production operation at our Pilot facility in Dublin, CA. You will also collect data and use it to model larger scale final assembly manufacturing and test processes for volume production at external contract manufacturing partners.
Tasks, Duties & Responsibilities:
- Actively supports and fosters a culture of inclusion.
- Works with NPI Program Management and NPI Engineering in supporting the development of processes and managing builds at different phases of the development cycle.
- Collaborates with project teams in developing manufacturing strategy to ensure timely completion in line with project milestones.
- Leads scheduling, budgeting, resource planning and risk planning within manufacturing for NPI Projects.
- Oversees daily execution of manufacturing and leading operational best practices with a focus on safety and quality.
- Communicates build status, schedule progress and key project metrics with core team and senior management.
- Develops process documentation (assembly procedures, test procedures, BOMs, process flows, and process FMEAs) in conjunction with process engineering.
- Trains and leads team to optimize the execution of builds.
- Identifies improvement opportunities and initiates new processes and methods that will improve safety, product quality, and/or efficiency.
- Defines test coverage objectives
- Designs and manages build of test equipment for EOL LiDAR testing
- Provides DfM feedback
- Responsible for transferring Pilot Lines to CMs
Minimum Qualifications (knowledge, skills & abilities): To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required:
- Bachelor of Science degree in an Engineering discipline.
- Proven success and results in driving improvements in cost, quality and efficiency in sustaining and NPI environments.
- Well versed in Lean Manufacturing & Continuous Improvement principles & techniques
- Demonstrated experience leading and managing teams.
- 8+ years in a manufacturing environment.
- 4+ years related experience involving the assembly, testing and repair of opto-mechanical or electronic assemblies.
- 4+ years implementing Lean Manufacturing principles and/or Six Sigma.
- Knowledge in the manufacture of PCB, Optics, Plastics and Castings.
- Ability to read, analyze and interpret complex documents and engineering drawings.
- Experience with a phased-gated approach to development that includes strong project management skills and general knowledge of basic project management tools.
- Experience with make vs. buy analysis.
- Experience in crafting and evaluating RFPs. Strong organizational and analytical skills with exceptional attention to detail.
- Advanced knowledge/proficiency in Microsoft Office/Google Workspace, MES (ToolTrack), MRP/ERP systems (NetSuite) and QMS (Arena) required.
- Excellent written and verbal communication.
- High degree of initiative and ability to take decisive action.
- Positive attitude and ability to prioritize and deal with multiple assignments and stressful situations.
- Ability to identify issues, problem solve and follow-up to ensure corrective actions are implemented.
- Excellent people and management skills to interact with staff, colleagues, cross-functional teams and third parties. Team player!
- Ability and willingness to travel
Preferred Skills & Experience (useful):
- Experience with LiDAR sensing solutions
- Previous experience as a Manufacturing/Engineering leader
- Experience in the automotive industry
- Experience in a fast-paced and demanding start-up experience.
AEye, Inc. is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, ancestry, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, citizenship, marital status, disability or Veteran status.
AEye, Inc. participates in E-Verify.
To all recruitment agencies: AEye will not accept agency resumes for this role. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, AEye employees or any other organization location. AEye is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
AEye is LIDR!