Technical Grant Writer
This job is no longer accepting applications.
Universal Hydrogen is on a mission to transform aviation. Frustrated by the slow pace of our industry’s progress in meeting Paris Agreement targets, we founded Universal Hydrogen to take action now. Our plan is to make hydrogen the universal propellant for a zero carbon emission aviation industry, starting with our own regional turboprop retrofit. More broadly, we intend to connect hydrogen production to consumption in aviation and beyond with our modular hydrogen storage and distribution network. We are looking for an experienced, motivated self-starter to help translate this mission in all its technical detail to federal and state grant and funding programs, including the U.S. Department of Energy, California Energy Commission, CA Treasurer's Office, CA Franchise Tax Board and CA Governor’s Office of Business and Economic Development.
About the Role
- Support across all Universal Hydrogen business areas in pursuit of federal, state and local incentive programs to reduce required investment and/or program cost.
- Develop technical and programmatic proposal materials for submission to federal and state programs.
- Project-manage submissions, coordinating with consultants, senior leadership and engineering staff at our Hawthorne and Toulouse, France locations.
- Interact with federal and state agencies and personnel to advocate for program funding and our success.
- Understand mechanics of incentive programs, analyze offers, and recommend most cost-beneficial solution, assist with internal and external project presentations, negotiate agreements, and perform site selection analysis.
- Monitor all matters related to economic development programs, including, but not limited to, development, commitment tracking and ongoing compliance.
- of 5+ years of multistate discretionary economic development transactional experience, preferably in aerospace and/or clean tech.
- Engineering background in aerospace and/or cleantech is a big plus.
- Deep understanding of federal and state contracts, including tax and R&D incentives, FARs and acquisition practices, and federal “ARPA”-style agencies.
- Superb writing skills with a penchant for clearly explaining complex technical ideas. In other words, you excel at making the complex easy to understand, and find it easy to understand the complex.
- Thrive in a fast-paced startup environment, and see the engineers as your customer.
At Universal Hydrogen, our mission is to fuel carbon-free flight and reduce the climate impact of air travel. We are stitching together the end-to-end hydrogen value chain for aviation, both for hydrogen fuel and hydrogen-powered airplanes. We are building a transport and logistics network that moves hydrogen from production facilities to airports over the existing freight infrastructure, eliminating the need for costly new pipelines and storage facilities. Our system utilizes specialized capsules that safely store hydrogen during transit and also act as modular fuel tanks that load directly onto aircraft. We are also developing powertrain conversion kits to retrofit existing airplanes and enable new airplanes to fly on hydrogen. Founded by former executives from Airbus, United Technologies, Google, and DARPA, and backed by investors such as Playground Global, JetBlue, Toyota, and Airbus, we are convinced that hydrogen is the best and only scalable solution to truly decarbonize aviation, and we want to bring it to market decades sooner—by 2025.
We strive for a culture that is empowered, collaborative, open, and human-centered. We are driven by a sense of urgency to address climate change through the near-term decarbonization of commercial aviation. We recognize that people have a diverse set of preferences for work conditions and hours that optimize for their overall productivity and wellness, and both our cloud-based IT setup and remote work policy reflects this. However, because we are building physical products, most roles will require working at our facility at Hawthorne Airport in Los Angeles most of the time.
Our compensation and benefits package promotes transparency, equitability, and long-term employee well-being, while rewarding individual and team performance. This includes cash bonuses and significant equity participation for all salaried employees, employer-paid health insurance coverage, generous parental leave, a pet-friendly headquarters located at Hawthorne Airport in Los Angeles, and generous paid time off. As a young company, we are actively working to expand the benefits we provide—including childcare, retirement, parental, and mental health benefits—and we’re always open to feedback on what’s most important to you.
We know that no two candidates are the same, and we want to give you the opportunity to present yourself in the best way possible. Don’t hesitate to let us know how we can support a great recruitment process for you—whether that includes off-hours interview scheduling, captioning/transcription services, or other accommodations. Needless to say, we value diversity in all its forms, and encourage people from all backgrounds to apply, especially if you share in our mission to decarbonize air travel.
Please note that for the health and safety of our employees, we require all employees to provide proof of up to date COVID-19 vaccinations as recommended by the CDC (or a valid exemption).
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Fueling Carbon-Free Flight