Senior Manager, Software Certification
This job is no longer accepting applications.
Aviation faces an existential crisis due to its climate impact, with no apparent roadmap for meaningful carbon reduction, yet alone meeting Paris Agreement emissions targets. Enter Universal Hydrogen, a California-based startup with a burgeoning engineering center in France. Founded and led by former top Airbus and Boeing executives, our first product is to convert existing regional aircraft to hydrogen fuel cell powertrains for entry into service by 2025, and fuel them with our revolutionary modular capsule-based logistics network which seamlessly links hydrogen production with consumption without costly fixed infrastructure. Then we have our eyes set on fueling a hydrogen single aisle.
We are seeking a Senior Manager of Software Certification to join our rapidly growing team developing state-of-the-art modular hydrogen capsule technology and a fuel cell-electric powertrain for the world’s first zero-emissions regional airliner. You will be working with design engineering, program, and supplier teams that are rapidly iterating the design and testing of a leading-edge hydrogen powertrain for aircraft, and playing a pivotal role in the design and certification of both a revolutionary propulsion system and a significant aircraft modification program. In particular, you will be responsible for the certification of our Hydro-Electro-Aero-Thermal Management System (HEATMS), a novel energy management and control system for the hydrogen fuel cell-electric powertrain.
About the Role
- Lead the software certification of hydrogen fuel-cell powertrain energy management and control system.
- Develop and implement software certification processes and procedures necessary, throughout the product life cycle. This includes conceptual design, requirements definition, compliance planning, implementation, and post-certification activities.
- Lead the engagement with certification authorities to define the certification basis and means of compliance for software.
- Evaluate risks and opportunities. Assist the engineering team with implementing risk mitigation plans.
- Develop the software program and certification plans, with the engineering and program management teams and the authorities, to meet the organization’s business objectives.
- Work with the engineering and supplier teams to oversee development of software, assure the use of industry best practices, and assure compliance with regulatory requirements.
- Provide either showing of compliance or finding of compliance roles.
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering, computer science or related discipline.
- Significant demonstrated experience in software development, verification, and compliance finding activities, especially as they pertain to real-time embedded software for high-assurance, safety-critical systems.
- Demonstrated experience with software development, verification, and compliance finding activities for safety-critical software used in airplane systems.
- Demonstrated experience in RTCA DO-178C software development and certification.
- An in-depth understanding of AC 20-115D, RTCA/DO-178C, DO-330, DO-331, and DO-332.
- Thorough understanding of the relationship between software aspects of certification, system development assurance (ARP 4754A), and the safety assessment process.
- Experience as an FAA Designated Engineering Representative, Organization Delegation Unit Member, or TSO certification specialist is highly desired.
- Experience in finding compliance given varied development paradigms, documentation schemes, supplier relationships (single supplier, multiple suppliers, foreign and domestic).
At Universal Hydrogen, our mission is to fuel carbon-free flight and reduce the climate impact of air travel. Since we believe this needs to be a transatlantic effort, harnessing the talent and skills of a global workforce, we are rapidly scaling up engineering centers in Los Angeles, California and in France. These centers function as fully integrated, collaborative teams devoted to all aspects of propulsion, storage, and certification.
Our mission is to create an end-to-end hydrogen value chain for aviation, both for hydrogen fuel and hydrogen-powered airplanes. To accomplish that, we are building a transport and logistics network that moves hydrogen from production facilities to airports over the existing freight infrastructure, eliminating the need for costly new pipelines and storage facilities. Our system utilizes specialized capsules that safely store hydrogen during transit and also act as modular fuel tanks that load directly onto aircraft. We are also developing powertrain conversion kits to retrofit existing airplanes and enable new airplanes to fly on hydrogen. Founded by former executives from Airbus, United Technologies, Google, and DARPA, and backed by global investors such as Playground Global, Coatue, Airbus, Toyota, and JetBlue, we are convinced that hydrogen is the best and only scalable solution to truly decarbonize aviation, and we want to bring it to market decades sooner—by 2025.
We strive for a culture that is empowered, collaborative, open, and human-centered. We are driven by a sense of urgency to address climate change through the near-term decarbonization of commercial aviation. We recognize that people have a diverse set of preferences for work conditions and hours that optimize for their overall productivity and wellness, and both our cloud-based IT setup and remote work policy reflects this. However, because we are building physical products, most roles will require working at one of our on-airport facilities most of the time.
Our compensation and benefits package promotes transparency, equitability, and long-term employee well-being, while rewarding individual and team performance. This includes significant variable incentive pay and equity participation for all salaried employees, employer-paid health insurance coverage, generous parental leave, pet-friendly work environment, and generous paid time off. As a young company, we are actively working to expand the benefits we provide—including childcare, retirement, parental, and mental health benefits—and we’re always open to feedback on what’s most important to you.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Fueling Carbon-Free Flight