Senior Manager, Production System Certification
This job is no longer accepting applications.
We are seeking a Senior Manager, Production System Certification to join our rapidly growing team developing state-of-the-art modular hydrogen capsule technology and a fuel cell-electric powertrain for the world’s first zero-emissions regional airliner. You will be working with engineering, program management, and supplier teams to rapidly iterate the design and testing of a leading-edge hydrogen powertrain for aircraft, and playing a pivotal role in the building the production system for a revolutionary propulsion system, hydrogen capsule technology, as well as a significant aircraft modification program.
About the Role
- Lead the development of the FAA application for a Production Certificate for a hydrogen fuel-cell powertrain STC and the modular hydrogen capsules.
- Establish a quality system that complies with applicable Federal Aviation Administration Regulations, ensures each product and article conforms to its approved design, and is in a condition for safe operation.
- Develop and implement the quality system processes and procedures necessary, throughout the product life cycle. This includes the following elements: design data control; document control; supplier control; manufacturing process control; inspection and testing; inspection, measuring, and test equipment control; inspection and test status, nonconforming product and article control; corrective and preventive actions; handling and storage; control of quality records; internal audits; and in-service feedback; quality escapes; and issuing authorized release documents.
- Prepare the application for the production system certificate, and support the engagement with authorities during the application process.
- Evaluate risks and opportunities. Assist the engineering team with implementing risk mitigation plans.
- Develop the production system program plan, with the engineering and program management teams and the authorities, to meet the organization’s business objectives.
- Work with the engineering, program management, and supplier teams to oversee development of the product, to assure the use of industry best practices, and to assure compliance with regulatory requirements.
- Work experience with an aircraft OEM, primary supplier, or certification authority.
- Working knowledge of aerospace quality standards for quality assurance in design, development, production, installation, and servicing.
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering, or related discipline is preferred.
- Significant demonstrated experience in managing an aerospace production system.
- An in-depth understanding of the appropriate quality system regulations, industry standards AS9100, AS9110, AS9120, AS9115, ISO 9001, International Aerospace Quality Group (IAQG) standards.
- Experience as an FAA Manufacturing Designee, Organization Delegation Unit Member, or Manufacturing Inspection Specialist is highly desired.
- Excellent communication skills.
At Universal Hydrogen, our mission is to fuel carbon-free flight and reduce the climate impact of air travel. We are stitching together the end-to-end hydrogen value chain for aviation, both for hydrogen fuel and hydrogen-powered airplanes. We are building a transport and logistics network that moves hydrogen from production facilities to airports over the existing freight infrastructure, eliminating the need for costly new pipelines and storage facilities. Our system utilizes specialized capsules that safely store hydrogen during transit and also act as modular fuel tanks that load directly onto aircraft. We are also developing powertrain conversion kits to retrofit existing airplanes and enable new airplanes to fly on hydrogen. Founded by former executives from Airbus, United Technologies, Google, and DARPA, and backed by investors such as Playground Global, JetBlue, Toyota, and Airbus Ventures, we are convinced that hydrogen is the best and only scalable solution to truly decarbonize aviation, and we want to bring it to market decades sooner—by 2025.
We strive for a culture that is empowered, collaborative, open, and human-centered. We are driven by a sense of urgency to address climate change through the near-term decarbonization of commercial aviation. We recognize that people have a diverse set of preferences for work conditions and hours that optimize for their overall productivity and wellness, and both our cloud-based IT setup and flexible work policy reflects this. However, because we are building physical products, most roles will require working at our facility at Hawthorne Airport in Los Angeles most of the time.
Our compensation and benefits package promotes transparency, equitability, and long-term employee well-being, while rewarding individual and team performance. This includes cash bonuses and significant equity participation for all salaried employees, employer-paid health insurance coverage, generous parental leave, a pet-friendly headquarters located at Hawthorne Airport in Los Angeles, and generous paid time off. As a young company, we are actively working to expand the benefits we provide—including childcare, retirement, parental, and mental health benefits—and we’re always open to feedback on what’s most important to you.
We know that no two candidates are the same, and we want to give you the opportunity to present yourself in the best way possible. Don’t hesitate to let us know how we can support a great recruitment process for you—whether that includes off-hours interview scheduling, captioning/transcription services, or other accommodations. Needless to say, we value diversity in all its forms, and encourage people from all backgrounds to apply, especially if you share in our mission to decarbonize air travel.
Please note that for the health and safety of our employees, we require all employees to provide proof of up to date COVID-19 vaccinations as recommended by the CDC (or a valid exemption).
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Fueling Carbon-Free Flight