Senior Hydrogen Storage Engineer (Manufacturing)
This job is no longer accepting applications.
Aviation faces an existential crisis due to its climate impact, with no apparent roadmap for meaningful carbon reduction, yet alone meeting Paris Agreement emissions targets. Enter Universal Hydrogen, a California-based startup with a burgeoning engineering center in France. Founded and led by former top Airbus and Boeing executives, our first product is to convert existing regional aircraft to hydrogen fuel cell powertrains for entry into service by 2025, and fuel them with our revolutionary modular capsule-based logistics network which seamlessly links hydrogen production with consumption without costly fixed infrastructure. Then we have our eyes set on fueling a hydrogen single aisle.
We are developing a state-of-the-art uncooled liquid hydrogen storage system that will be able to store hydrogen without venting for over 40 hours. This storage life is achieved through the use of a specially insulated dual walled aluminum capsule that allows the pressure inside to build up without exhausting the boil-off. You will play a key role in translating the architecture into a detailed design, building and testing prototypes, and iterating on the design.
About the Role
- Optimize the detailed design of liquid storage capsules, in particular how the design is adapted for manufacturing at scale to achieve the desired costs.
- Build and test prototype storage capsules establishing a BoM and production cost estimation
- Work with the suppliers, and provide technical guidance during development to optimize the design for manufacturing and cost..
- On an ongoing basis, identify the ways in which design for manufacturing might be improved, and then develop and deploy these improvements.
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering, computer science or related discipline.
- Working knowledge of the properties and mechanics of metals and cryogenic insulation.
- Understanding of the chemical and structural properties of metallic and non-metallic materials that are impervious to hydrogen, and the manufacture (e.g., milling or additive manufacture) of metal components such as bosses.
- Extensive experience in the research, development, and manufacture of pressurized storage vessels (with emphasis on manufacturing).
- Experience in Design for Manufacturing of complex components and a proven track record in delivering cost reductions.
- Ability to work in multidisciplinary teams, and to convey detailed technical concepts in a clear and concise manner.
At Universal Hydrogen, our mission is to fuel carbon-free flight and reduce the climate impact of air travel. Since we believe this needs to be a transatlantic effort, harnessing the talent and skills of a global workforce, we are rapidly scaling up engineering centers in Los Angeles, California and in France. These centers function as fully integrated, collaborative teams devoted to all aspects of propulsion, storage, and certification.
Our mission is to create an end-to-end hydrogen value chain for aviation, both for hydrogen fuel and hydrogen-powered airplanes. To accomplish that, we are building a transport and logistics network that moves hydrogen from production facilities to airports over the existing freight infrastructure, eliminating the need for costly new pipelines and storage facilities. Our system utilizes specialized capsules that safely store hydrogen during transit and also act as modular fuel tanks that load directly onto aircraft. We are also developing powertrain conversion kits to retrofit existing airplanes and enable new airplanes to fly on hydrogen. Founded by former executives from Airbus, United Technologies, Google, and DARPA, and backed by global investors such as Playground Global, Coatue, Airbus, Toyota, and JetBlue, we are convinced that hydrogen is the best and only scalable solution to truly decarbonize aviation, and we want to bring it to market decades sooner—by 2025.
We strive for a culture that is empowered, collaborative, open, and human-centered. We are driven by a sense of urgency to address climate change through the near-term decarbonization of commercial aviation. We recognize that people have a diverse set of preferences for work conditions and hours that optimize for their overall productivity and wellness, and both our cloud-based IT setup and remote work policy reflects this. However, because we are building physical products, most roles will require working at one of our on-airport facilities most of the time.
Our compensation and benefits package promotes transparency, equitability, and long-term employee well-being, while rewarding individual and team performance. This includes significant variable incentive pay and equity participation for all salaried employees, employer-paid health insurance coverage, generous parental leave, pet-friendly work environment, and generous paid time off. As a young company, we are actively working to expand the benefits we provide—including childcare, retirement, parental, and mental health benefits—and we’re always open to feedback on what’s most important to you.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Fueling Carbon-Free Flight