This job is no longer accepting applications.
We are looking for a composite technician. This is a rare, exciting opportunity to make a lasting impact in a lean engineering organization. We have a small, close-knit team working on new, exciting concepts for hydrogen storage. Our manufacturing process is not a typical prepreg layup and therefore you should have mastery over a wide range of composite techniques. Our work environment is a combination of prototype experimentation and low-rate, high-end production. We will be simultaneously experimenting with one-off prototype methods for new components and documenting and producing high-quality precision parts for our existing methods. You should be comfortable in both roles and communicate well with engineering. There is little hierarchy and we value experience and innovation from all team members. If you’re the type of person who refuses to accept “because that’s how we’ve always done it,” and someone with an “I’ll figure it out” attitude, we want to hear from you!
About the Role
- Manufacturing of novel resin infused composite liners.
- Development of braided structure assembly process.
- Support of quality systems and process documentation.
- Creation of test articles and samples.
- Testing and documentation of test results.
- You should be a self-starter, creative, open to new ideas, and meticulous with attention to detail when conducting repetitive production tasks.
- Vacuum infusion is a high priority. You should be able to make complex bags and infusion manifolds which hold a good vacuum for high quality infusions, with a variety of resins.
- You should be able to make your own patterns by hand and understand darting and draping of fabrics.
- You should have experience with a variety of mold release methods from wax and PVA to various chemical releases.
- You should be able to quickly implement new concepts and prove them out at a high level of quality.
- You should be open to working well with others in a dynamic and fast-paced environment.
- It would also be helpful if you were comfortable making small molds, taking splashes off of existing parts, and creating temporary and prototype tools.
At Universal Hydrogen, our mission is to fuel carbon-free flight and reduce the climate impact of air travel. We are stitching together the end-to-end hydrogen value chain for aviation, both for hydrogen fuel and hydrogen-powered airplanes. We are building a transport and logistics network that moves hydrogen from production facilities to airports over the existing freight infrastructure, eliminating the need for costly new pipelines and storage facilities. Our system utilizes specialized capsules that safely store hydrogen during transit and also act as modular fuel tanks that load directly onto aircraft. We are also developing powertrain conversion kits to retrofit existing airplanes and enable new airplanes to fly on hydrogen. Founded by former executives from Airbus, United Technologies, Google, and DARPA, and backed by investors such as Playground Global, JetBlue, Toyota, and Airbus, we are convinced that hydrogen is the best and only scalable solution to truly decarbonize aviation, and we want to bring it to market decades sooner—by 2025.
We strive for a culture that is empowered, collaborative, open, and human-centered. We are driven by a sense of urgency to address climate change through the near-term decarbonization of commercial aviation. We recognize that people have a diverse set of preferences for work conditions and hours that optimize for their overall productivity and wellness, and both our cloud-based IT setup and remote work policy reflects this. However, because we are building physical products, most roles will require working at our facility at Hawthorne Airport in Los Angeles most of the time.
Our compensation and benefits package promotes transparency, equitability, and long-term employee well-being, while rewarding individual and team performance. This includes cash bonuses and significant equity participation for all salaried employees, employer-paid health insurance coverage, generous parental leave, a pet-friendly headquarters located at Hawthorne Airport in Los Angeles, and generous paid time off. As a young company, we are actively working to expand the benefits we provide—including childcare, retirement, parental, and mental health benefits—and we’re always open to feedback on what’s most important to you.
We know that no two candidates are the same, and we want to give you the opportunity to present yourself in the best way possible. Don’t hesitate to let us know how we can support a great recruitment process for you—whether that includes off-hours interview scheduling, captioning/transcription services, or other accommodations. Needless to say, we value diversity in all its forms, and encourage people from all backgrounds to apply, especially if you share in our mission to decarbonize air travel.
Please note that for the health and safety of our employees, we require all employees to provide proof of up to date COVID-19 vaccinations as recommended by the CDC (or a valid exemption).
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Fueling Carbon-Free Flight