Refraction AI is a startup in Ann Arbor, Michigan that is building a robotic platform for last-mile delivery. We are disrupting the world of last-mile deliveries in urban areas. Over the last year and a half our team has built a fleet of robots, (called REV-1s), that deliver meals, groceries and other items to residents in the Ann Arbor area. Our platform and software stack address the last-mile delivery problem in a fundamentally different way compared to others in the space. At Refraction, you’ll have the opportunity to work on a unique set of challenges in the autonomy space and implement your solutions on platforms used in the real world.
If this sounds exciting to you and you are ready to be a part of a true start-up culture, where decisions are made quickly and employee culture is valued, Refraction is the place for you.
- Improve the safety, robustness and reliability of the perception stack running on our robots, including tuning existing algorithms and developing new ones when necessary.
- Develop and train deep learning models to improve the quality of the robot’s understanding of its environment. Implement the models developed to run in real-time on embedded hardware onboard the robot.
- Work closely with the planning and control team to ensure smooth interaction with perception.
- Characterize capability and limitations of perception software stack. Forecast how future development work will adjust perception capabilities.
- Meet regularly with the operations team to understand the environment and conditions experienced by robots during deliveries. Use information from operations to guide development of the perception stack and improve overall system performance.
- Develop, test and release new features as part of the software team with agile sprints.
- Perform all other duties within the scope of responsibilities as may be needed to be successful in the role
- M.S. in Robotics, Computer Science or similar technical field
- Excellent background programming in C++ and Python
- Experience with deep learning frameworks (PyTorch, Tensorflow, etc.)
- Experience developing perception algorithms based on cameras, lidar, and/or radar
- Good working knowledge of Linux operating systems and build tools such as bazel or cmake
- Ability to work as part of a team
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
- Excellent attention to detail
- Works well with uncertainty and ambiguity
- Successful completion of a background check
- PhD in Robotics, Computer Science or similar technical field
- 5+ years of work experience in related field
- Experience implementing algorithms on real robots
- Knowledge of robotics frameworks such as ROS, autoware, apollo cyber
- Experience with robotic simulation tools (e.g. CARLA or LGSVL) and developing unit tests
Reports to: Director of Software Engineering
Work Location: Remote, Ann Arbor, MI
Job Type: Full-time
Employment Opportunity and Benefits of Employment: We are committed to creating and fostering a diverse and inclusive workplace environment for all of our employees. We are an equal opportunity employer
This is a salaried, exempt position. We offer a competitive compensation package, excellent benefits and generous PTO. The company will provide the necessary technology resources.
Applying: It is strongly encouraged that you include links to any publicly accessible software repositories you have created or made significant contributions to (e.g. github, gitlab or bitbucket projects)
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Safe and Cost Effective Last-Mile Logistics