Director of Technology Development
This job is no longer accepting applications.
Who We Are
Refraction AI is on a mission to bring the future of last-mile delivery to life. With our fleet of REV-1 mobile delivery robots we are growing quickly, propelled by exciting advances in technology, demographics, business models, social and regulatory policies. As consumer expectations and requirements change, so must the services and businesses that serve them. In a sector that is struggling to keep up due to legacy costs, dated infrastructure and poor integration, Refraction AI is a breath of fresh air, demonstrating what is possible with a little innovation, a dash of brilliance, and a whole lot of common sense. Founded in Ann Arbor, Michigan, in 2019, Refraction is on the move, recently expanding to Austin, Texas. We are looking for talented, high energy people to join us and help us propel our journey forward.
We are seeking an experienced software development leader to build innovative tools and applications for our robotic last-mile delivery platform. In this role, you’ll need to successfully operate as a player-leader who is passionate about leveraging talent and technology to solve user experience challenges and enable customer success. Working directly with our VP of Product and Experience on our Product Team, you will create software products and systems to enable autonomous robot deliveries. Our team is building the “central nervous system” of our business, optimizing the management and routing of our fleet, enabling simple and reliable integration for our partners, and creating a delightful user experience for those receiving deliveries from our robots. Success on our team requires as much passion for human-centric design as it does technical acumen. Our goal is to create a cleaner, sustainable last-mile delivery option that is more operationally efficient, reliable, and cost-effective than today’s solutions. We enable a variety of businesses to improve access to their products, reach underserved customers, and reduce their carbon footprint.
- You enjoy architecting business solutions from scratch, leading external dev teams, and you are willing to challenge the status quo to get our solutions right.
- You are a driver, laser focused on achieving technical excellence through innovation, leadership and collaboration.
- Most importantly, you thrive in the chaotic environment of a young startup and you dream about building the future.
- If you have the enthusiasm and drive to become a part of our fast-paced, execution-oriented team - let us know! We want to hear from you.
What you will do
- Lead all aspects of the planning and execution of technical development projects; assessment of project scope, duration and cost; collaborate broadly with customer insights, product management, engineering, operations and executive leadership.
- Own, design, document and develop software solutions and programs as part of a cross-functional team, driving to optimal solutions that meet our business needs.
- Manage an off-shore software development team to drive results and deliver on product expectations, devising strategies to rapidly identify and resolve issues.
- Drive software development as part of a Scrum team and apply comprehensive knowledge of Agile development, as necessary, to ensure and support best practices.
- Lead technical reviews, develop requirements, define timelines/milestones, identify/mitigate risks, allocate resources, track progress, resolve dependencies, unblock progress etc.
- Propose and actively contribute to improving the overall architecture, design and functionality of Refraction’s backend operations stack.
- Do whatever it takes to deliver on objectives!
What You Bring
- Technical Management & Leadership
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in CS or related field
- 10+ years experience in software development, computer science or related industries
- Relevant technical knowledge and depth within an Agile environment achieved from your technical program management experience bringing complex software products to market (preferably web application development)
- Demonstrated ability to build, launch, and iterate quickly.
- Experienced in product development across stages -- from writing requirements to scoping to launch to iteration.
- Technical leadership - you take ownership, move the team forward, see around corners, and drive the team to deliver exceptional results.
- Prior startup company experience - you are comfortable with ambiguity, fast paced, irregular hours and high demands, alongside high rewards.
- Strong cross-team communication skills with the ability to provide constructive feedback and technical guidance.
- Analytical mind with problem-solving aptitude.
- Full stack experience in:
- Ruby 2.7
- Rails 6.1
- Git & GitHub
- PostgresQL (AWS RDS)
- AWS ECS
- RESTful APIs
- Experience building large scale service oriented applications
- Solid understanding in middleware technology and distributed systems
- Experience developing scalable APIs, frameworks and web apps with ability to build, launch, and iterate quickly
- Experience designing and building backend systems
- Experience with cloud infrastructure
We are an equal opportunity employer committed to creating and fostering a diverse and inclusive environment where all our employees feel they belong and are excited to represent. We may be a robotics company but we are unapologetically human!
We offer a competitive compensation package, excellent benefits including 401k matching, generous PTO, remote work options, scheduling flexibility, and opportunities for growth and development in an exciting leading edge organization.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Safe and Cost Effective Last-Mile Logistics