Program Manager (PMO) - Major Test Articles
We have set out to make the world a greener place in the area it matters the most, aviation. With our state-of-the-art technology and a truly passionate team, we have already built and are flight testing our first zero-emissions regional aircraft prototype. The next steps that we take together will be to scale-up this technology and enable entry-into-service of the world’s first zero-emissions regional aircraft, within a few short years.
Are you ready to join us on this exciting journey?
As the Major Test Articles Program Manager, you will deliver the test campaign for our powertrain ground test stands and flight test aircraft to both the Director of Powertrain & Flight Test and the VP Programs. You will be required to manage our test facility in Mojave, ensuring seamless connection with our Hawthorne (LA) and Toulouse (France) teams, in doing so, you will create a safe space for engineers to dream the incredible, while also moving the team towards scalable and cost-efficient objectives.
Our goal to create a carbon-free flight is within reach and this position gives you access to be on the ground floor of pioneering change!
About the Role
- Manage the major test articles test facilities (both in Hawthorne and Mojave).
- Ensure that the major test articles are maintained, and modified to be always ready to support test campaigns.
- Ensure all enablers are in place to deliver testing on-time and on-cost.
- Develop end-to-end test campaigns, delivering task scheduling, project costs/budgets, risk & opportunity management, and resourcing.
- Develop and maintain the project management methodology for the regional aircraft program major test articles, following standard industry practices at the most appropriate scale to add maximum value.
- Enable rapid progress throughout the development ‘V’ cycle to assist in the creation and evolution of the project and technical management documentation.
- Strong aptitude for managing a complex and fast-paced technical project to completion, preferably including testing, and ideally in a regulation-heavy industry.
- Proven experience implementing and use of PM tools.
- Holds technical competence to work independently and interface with cross-functional disciplines with ease and efficiency to overcome engineering or supply obstacles.
- Possesses the voracity for keeping a project on track while working within an agile environment.
- A willingness to do ‘whatever it takes’ and take on different tasks, responsibilities or perspectives depending on the team's goals, as required by a dynamic yet rewarding working environment.
At Universal Hydrogen, our mission is to fuel carbon-free flight and reduce the climate impact of air travel. We are stitching together the end-to-end hydrogen value chain for aviation, both for hydrogen fuel and hydrogen-powered airplanes. We are building a transport and logistics network that moves hydrogen from production facilities to airports over the existing freight infrastructure, eliminating the need for costly new pipelines and storage facilities. Our system utilizes specialized capsules that safely store hydrogen during transit and act as modular fuel tanks that load directly onto aircraft. We are also developing powertrain conversion kits to retrofit existing airplanes and enable new airplanes to fly on hydrogen. Founded by former executives from Airbus, United Technologies, Google, and DARPA, and backed by investors such as Playground Global, Tencent, Toyota, GE, JetBlue, and Airbus, we are convinced that hydrogen is the best and only scalable solution to truly decarbonize aviation, and we want to bring it to market decades sooner—by 2025.
We strive for a workplace that is open, friendly, and fun, while valuing focus, urgency, camaraderie, and maverick behavior in accomplishing our mission. We recognize that people have a diverse set of preferences for work conditions and hours that optimize their overall productivity and wellness, and both our cloud-based IT setup and flexible work policy reflect this. However, because we are building physical products, most roles will require working at our facility at Hawthorne Airport in Los Angeles or at Toulouse-Blagnac Airport in Toulouse most of the time.
Our compensation and benefits package promotes transparency, equitability, and long-term employee well-being, while rewarding individual and team performance. This includes a significant variable pay component in the cash compensation, equity participation for all employees, 100% coverage of healthcare costs, and dog-friendly offices. As a young company, we are continually expanding our benefits, striving to provide our employees with the support they need to be their best both in and outside of the office. In the next few months, we are rolling out childcare support, catered meals, green mobility support, and private pilot (PPL) training—and we’re always open to feedback on what’s most important to you!
We know that no two candidates are the same, and we want to give you the opportunity to present yourself in the best way possible. Don’t hesitate to let us know how we can support a great recruitment process for you—whether that includes off-hours interview scheduling, captioning/transcription services, or other accommodations. We value diversity in all its forms, and encourage people from all backgrounds to apply, especially if you share in our mission to decarbonize air travel.
Please note that for the health and safety of our employees, we require all employees to provide proof of up-to-date COVID-19 vaccinations as recommended by the CDC (or a valid exemption).
Fueling Carbon-Free Flight