Engineering Lead - Airframe Stress
Located in Northern California, the team at Joby Aviation is driven by our goal of creating an affordable, all-electric air transportation system. Imagine a piloted air taxi that takes off vertically, then quietly carries you and your fellow passengers over the congested city streets below, enabling you to spend more time with the people and places that matter most. Since 2009, our team has worked steadily to make this dream a reality. We’ve designed and tested many generations of prototype aircraft capable of serving in a network of electric air taxis. We’re looking for talented, committed individuals to join our team as we push onwards toward certifying the Joby aircraft with the Federal Aviation Administration, scaling our manufacturing, and preparing to launch commercial service in 2025.
Joby Aviation is seeking a passionate lead stress engineer who believes in the ability of urban air mobility to positively impact our cities. This role is an exciting position within the structures engineering team, as it allows for the engineer to interface with many disciplines within the company and assume a major role in the design of the aircraft. Prototypes are designed quickly and efficiently, meaning attention to detail is critical. The engineer will have experience analyzing aircraft powerplants, structures, developing load cases, and preparing aircraft certification documents.
- Outline road map to satisfy static strength, stiffness, stability margin, fatigue life, damage tolerance, durability, thermal performance, and other requirements
- Review and support publication of stress analysis documentation
- Support design reviews and release of parts
- Support component and assembly tests, including definition, planning, requirements, and report writing
- Provide procedural and technical guidance to the stress team to ensure all analysis work is performed to a high standard.
- Perform structural analyses by classical hand calculation and finite element analysis for both composites and metals
- Directly communicate with mechanical design teams, structural test, integration teams and DERs
- Support stress method definition
- Coordinate with methods and allowables to ensure allowable coverage for necessary design space
- B.S. in aerospace engineering, mechanical engineering, or another relevant discipline
- 10+ years of working experience in relevant industry
- Previous leadership experience, including directly managing others
- In-depth understanding of loading scenarios, free body diagrams, and behavior of aircraft components
- Experience performing analysis on aircraft powerplant systems
- Excellent problem-solving skills
- Highly proactive attitude with the ability to manage multiple assignments
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Advanced proficiency in hand calculations and finite element analysis, including nonlinear static and dynamic analysis of composite structures and metallic structures
- Ability to generate and review detailed analysis reports and aircraft type certification documents
- Proficiency with CAD
- Ability to work as part of a team in a fast-paced dynamic environment
- Aircraft Certification Experience
- M.S./Ph.D. in relevant discipline
- 15+ years of working experience in relevant industry
- Expert knowledge of Abaqus/CAE or Femap/Nastran
- Experience with method validation process based on test data (test benches, flight test)
- Hands on experience working within aircraft certification program
- Excellent understanding of FAR Part 23, 27, and 29 regulations
- Experience with MRB
- Experience with Dassault Systems CAD
Compensation at Joby is a combination of base pay and Restricted Stock Units (RSUs). The target base pay for this position is $192,850 - $228,800 /annually. The compensation package will be determined by job-related knowledge, skills, and experience.
Joby also offers a comprehensive benefits package, including paid time off, healthcare benefits, a 401(k) plan with a company match, an employee stock purchase plan (ESPP), short-term and long-term disability coverage, life insurance, and more.
Joby is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Electric Aerial Ridesharing