Quality Inspector, Mechanical Assemblies
Located in Northern California, the team at Joby Aviation is driven by our goal of creating an affordable, all-electric air transportation system. Imagine a piloted air taxi that takes off vertically, then quietly carries you and your fellow passengers over the congested city streets below, enabling you to spend more time with the people and places that matter most. Since 2009, our team has worked steadily to make this dream a reality. We’ve designed and tested many generations of prototype aircraft capable of serving in a network of electric air taxis. We’re looking for talented, committed individuals to join our team as we push onwards toward certifying the Joby aircraft with the Federal Aviation Administration, scaling our manufacturing, and preparing to launch commercial service in 2025.
Joby Aviation is seeking a highly organized, passionate individual to join our quality assurance team. As part of this team, you will perform incoming, source inspection (at a supplier location) and final inspection of Mechanical Assemblies for VTOL electric aircraft. The inspection process will help baseline the company’s Mechanical design efforts and pave the way for production. The Joby Aviation team is made up of extremely talented, hardworking, proactive, and hands-on individuals, operating in a very fast-paced and rewarding environment. We are looking to expand this team with like-minded individuals looking to make a mark in the transportation industry. We are hiring for our San Carlos and Marina locations.
- Perform receiving inspection on supplied Mechanical parts
- Perform in-process inspection during Mechanical part build up
- Perform final inspection on completed Mechanical parts
- Perform final inspection on the completed Work Order paperwork package
- Perform ad hoc part and process inspections
- Document and relay nonconformance information
- Conduct first article inspection and generate first article inspection reports in compliance with SAE AS9102 (as required)
- Conduct Foreign Object Damage (FOD) inspections/audits
- High-school diploma or GED plus three (3) years of on-the-job experience as a mechanical inspector in related discipline
- Proficient use of inspection tools or machinery (i.e. surface plate, thread gauges, pin gauges, micrometers, calipers, height master and height gauge, Jo-Blocks, impression molds)
- Understand how to measure using surface plate layouts
- Working knowledge of geometric dimensioning and tolerancing (GD&T), and understanding the x, y, z coordinate system
- Ability to read and interpret quality control specifications, blueprint drawings and engineering specifications including mechanical and electrical symbols and conventions, key, critical, major and minor characteristics
- Must know basic quality terms, definitions and concepts.
- Must understand types of measurement, measurement terminology and the different types of measurement scales
- Must know the difference between accuracy and precision and be able to select the appropriate measuring tools and techniques
- Must have basic calibration knowledge
- Must be able to identify/recognize inspection errors and nonconformances and initiate corrective action
- Must understand sample size requirements for lots and pulling random samples
- Understanding different testing methods
- Understand traceability (product, material and calibration)
- Ability to work within a team environment
- General knowledge of ASME Y14.5M
- Proficient use of Keyance, OMM, Faro Arm and Romer Arm
- Proficient with Polyworks and Control X Software
- Ability to program a Coordinate Measuring Machine
- Knowledge of AS9102 First Article Inspection Requirement
- Understanding basic statistical terms and techniques, how to plot data and how to recognize out-of-control conditions
- Ability to use inspection planning tools and perform a product audit; determine sample size for lots; pull random samples
- Strong knowledge of basic mathematical operations and perform measurement conversions; be able to solve for x; add and subtract degrees, minutes, and seconds.
- ASQ Certified Quality Inspector Certificate
Compensation at Joby is a combination of base pay and Restricted Stock Units (RSUs). The target base pay for this position is $28-$32/hour. The compensation package will be determined by job-related knowledge, skills, and experience.
Joby also offers a comprehensive benefits package, including paid time off, healthcare benefits, a 401(k) plan with a company match, an employee stock purchase plan (ESPP), short-term and long-term disability coverage, life insurance, and more.
Joby is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Electric Aerial Ridesharing