Electronics, Supplier Industrialization Lead
Located in Northern California, the team at Joby Aviation is driven by our goal of creating an affordable, all-electric air transportation system. Imagine a piloted air taxi that takes off vertically, then quietly carries you and your fellow passengers over the congested city streets below, enabling you to spend more time with the people and places that matter most. Since 2009, our team has worked steadily to make this dream a reality. We’ve designed and tested many generations of prototype aircraft capable of serving in a network of electric air taxis. We’re looking for talented, committed individuals to join our team as we push onwards toward certifying the Joby aircraft with the Federal Aviation Administration, scaling our manufacturing, and preparing to launch commercial service in 2025.
The Supplier Industrialization Engineering team is responsible for critical component development and qualification activities at suppliers. The role involves communicating well with internal and external teams, traveling to suppliers in different regions, and on-the-spot critical decision making. The goal: delivering on time quantities of high quality component parts into production processes to enable extremely rapid development cycles and product launches.
- Manage and develop a growing team of Supplier Industrialization Engineers (SIE), improve existing tools and develop effective and creative approaches to quality management in an extremely intense, fast paced, and innovative environment
- Develop, manage, audit, improve and correct supplier planning and execution of component manufacturing and assembly techniques and quality control processes from the advanced development phase to mass production qualification
- Provide leadership for New Product Introduction (NPI) at Suppliers and lead supplier improvements in scalability, cost, and quality
- Facilitate communication and clarification of technical requirements between Suppliers and Purchasing, Quality, and Design teams
- Accountable for supplier audits to ensure their ability to meet part performance, delivery, and reliability expectations
- Collaborate with Design, Quality, and Manufacturing to determine the ideal performance specifications and supplier metrics
- Accountable for leading, tracking and improving supplier manufacturing process development and launch readiness for new products and design changes
- Guide suppliers in developing exceptionally robust processes and procedures to promote efficient and seamless production of high quality products
- Validate supplier corrective actions involving design and/or process changes to ensure they are robust, sustainable, and implemented for similar potential concerns across manufacturing lines and/or suppliers
- Provide input on new or alternative materials for improved design, manufacturability, or cost reduction
- BS Degree in Electrical / Mechanical / Industrial / Manufacturing Engineering or evidence of experience and exceptional ability
- 5+ years managing a team
- 10+ years experience in industrial, manufacturing, stamping, process engineering, and/or supplier quality engineering
- A deep understanding of product technologies and manufacturing processes for Mechanical commodities including plastic moldings, Interiors, Seating Systems, Glass, Die Casting and Stamped components
- Organized with a good balance between delegation and capacity to deep dive into tactical issues when required
- Experience in Quality Systems a plus: PPAP/APQP processes
- In-depth knowledge of Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing (GD&T) and inspection
- Possess demonstrable leadership abilities
- Ability to travel up to 50% of the time
Compensation at Joby is a combination of base pay and Restricted Stock Units (RSUs). The target base pay for this position is $163,200 - $217,600/yr. The compensation package offered will be determined by location, job-related knowledge, skills, and experience.
Joby also offers a comprehensive benefits package, including paid time off, healthcare benefits, a 401(k) plan with a company match, an employee stock purchase plan (ESPP), short-term and long-term disability coverage, life insurance, and more.
Joby is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Electric Aerial Ridesharing