Composite Manufacturing Engineer
Located in Northern California, the team at Joby Aviation is driven by our goal of creating an affordable, all-electric air transportation system. Imagine a piloted air taxi that takes off vertically, then quietly carries you and your fellow passengers over the congested city streets below, enabling you to spend more time with the people and places that matter most. Since 2009, our team has worked steadily to make this dream a reality. We’ve designed and tested many generations of prototype aircraft capable of serving in a network of electric air taxis. We’re looking for talented, committed individuals to join our team as we push onwards toward certifying the Joby aircraft with the Federal Aviation Administration, scaling our manufacturing, and preparing to launch commercial service in 2025.
Joby Aviation is searching for a skilled Composite Manufacturing Engineer with experience in composite fabrication and assembly processes. The successful candidate will be responsible for designing, developing, and optimizing composite manufacturing processes. As a Composite Manufacturing Engineer, you will collaborate closely with cross-functional teams, including design, production, tooling, and quality, to drive continuous improvement and innovation in composite manufacturing.
- Develop and implement manufacturing processes for composite materials, including layup, curing, bonding, machining, and repair, while adhering to industry standards and best practices.
- Collaborate with design and R&D teams to ensure manufacturability of new composite products and components, providing input on design for manufacturing (DFM) considerations.
- Initiate and lead lean manufacturing process improvement projects.
- Identify and assist in addressing manufacturing issues on the production floor.
- Support manufacturing production planning and coordination, capacity planning, line design, production execution, and operations process development.
- Create and maintain manufacturing documentation, including work instructions, process specifications, and standard operating procedures (SOPs).
- Provide technical support to production personnel to ensure correct execution of manufacturing processes.
- Design shop aids and tooling to assist production.
- Disposition non-conforming parts, identify root cause, and implement corrective and/or preventive actions to reduce scrap and rework.
- 2+ years of related experience as a manufacturing engineer in relevant industry
- B.S. in engineering OR 6+ years in a comparable role
- Experience working with 3D CAD softwares (Solidwork, NX, or CATIA) and Part Lifecycle Management (PLM) systems.
- Experience in composite manufacturing processes: hand layup lamination, AFP, autoclave operation, hot press, assembly processes, etc.
- Experience writing work instructions.
- Experience with drawings and BOMs; Engineering Change systems; Quality systems for non-conforming parts and corrective action.
- Experience with laser projection systems (Virtek or Aligned Vision).
- Experience with composite cutting tables (Gerber, Zund, Eastman, etc).
- Experience in prototype manufacturing in a professional environment.
- Experience with MES systems.
Compensation at Joby is a combination of base pay and Restricted Stock Units (RSUs). The target base pay for this position is $69,700-$112,400/year. The compensation package will be determined by job-related knowledge, skills, and experience.
Joby also offers a comprehensive benefits package, including paid time off, healthcare benefits, a 401(k) plan with a company match, an employee stock purchase plan (ESPP), short-term and long-term disability coverage, life insurance, and more.
Joby is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Electric Aerial Ridesharing