Mechanical Engineer - Environmental Control Systems
Located in Northern California, the team at Joby Aviation is driven by our goal of creating an affordable, all-electric air transportation system. Imagine a piloted air taxi that takes off vertically, then quietly carries you and your fellow passengers over the congested city streets below, enabling you to spend more time with the people and places that matter most. Since 2009, our team has worked steadily to make this dream a reality. We’ve designed and tested many generations of prototype aircraft capable of serving in a network of electric air taxis. We’re looking for talented, committed individuals to join our team as we push onwards toward certifying the Joby aircraft with the Federal Aviation Administration, scaling our manufacturing, and preparing to launch commercial service in 2025.
Joby Aviation is seeking a passionate engineer to join our Powertrain team in San Carlos, CA to support development of the environmental control system for the Joby S4. This individual would be responsible for designing ductwork, electronic housings and cooling components, and testing equipment. This role will involve design work starting at the conceptual level through full modelling and continue into manufacturing and testing.
- Design of complex components and packaging
- Initial layout and sizing
- Detailed design and fabrication specifications
- Preparing production drawings, with appropriate GD & T
- Direct communication with vendors and technicians in manufacturing
- B.S in mechanical engineering
- Minimum 1-2 years of demonstrated engineering experience, preferably “full-stack” with exposure to test design, equipment/component selection, hands-on builds, bring-up and troubleshooting
- Proficiency with Catia, preferably in 3D Experience Environment
- Proficiency in mechanical design, materials selection, kinematics, troubleshooting, and analysis
- Excellent problem solving and communication skills
- Strong analytical background
- M.S. in mechanical engineering
- Aviation or Automotive industry experience
- Strong fundamentals in fluid flow
- Experience with instrumentation selection/procurement and data acquisition
- Electrical enclosure design experience
Compensation at Joby is a combination of base pay and Restricted Stock Units (RSUs). The target base pay for this position is $79,900-$130,900/year. The compensation package will be determined by job-related knowledge, skills, and experience.
Joby also offers a comprehensive benefits package, including paid time off, healthcare benefits, a 401(k) plan with a company match, an employee stock purchase plan (ESPP), short-term and long-term disability coverage, life insurance, and more.
Joby is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Electric Aerial Ridesharing