Supplier Quality Engineer
Located in Northern California, the team at Joby Aviation is driven by our goal of creating an affordable, all-electric air transportation system. Imagine a piloted air taxi that takes off vertically, then quietly carries you and your fellow passengers over the congested city streets below, enabling you to spend more time with the people and places that matter most. Since 2009, our team has worked steadily to make this dream a reality. We’ve designed and tested many generations of prototype aircraft capable of serving in a network of electric air taxis. We’re looking for talented, committed individuals to join our team as we push onwards toward certifying the Joby aircraft with the Federal Aviation Administration, scaling our manufacturing, and preparing to launch commercial service in 2025.
Joby Aviation is seeking a highly organized, passionate individual to join our quality engineering team. As part of this team, you will oversee the quality aspects of supplier parts. This Supplier Quality Engineering will ensure the smooth transition of new products, optimize manufacturing processes, and maintain a high level of supplier quality. The ideal candidate will have a strong background in supplier management, manufacturing engineering, and quality control. This role will involve close collaboration with suppliers, cross-functional teams, and internal stakeholders. The Joby Aviation team is made up of extremely talented, hardworking, proactive, and hands-on individuals, operating in a very fast-paced and rewarding environment. We are looking to expand this team with like-minded individuals looking to make a mark in the transportation industry.
- Evaluate and qualify potential suppliers to meet our quality requirements.
- Work closely with suppliers during NPI to ensure a smooth transition of new products from development to production.
- Provide technical expertise and support to suppliers in process validation, production ramp-up, and issue resolution.
- Collaborate with suppliers to optimize manufacturing processes, enhance efficiency, and reduce costs without compromising quality.
- Analyze production methods, identify bottlenecks, and implement process improvements in collaboration with suppliers.
- Perform design review activities including inspectability, consistency, adequacy, accuracy, and conformance to requirements and provide recommendations for improvement.\
- Develop and manage data and metrics using data visualization tools to report supplier performance and quality levels.
- Perform product quality and quality management system reviews to assure compliance with drawings, work instructions and internal ISO9001/AS9100 and regulatory requirements
- Analyze product and process failures to ensure effective root cause analysis and implementation of corrective and preventive actions internally
- Review, identify, implement and maintain Supplier Quality flow down requirements and serve as Voice of the Customer for all Supplier quality-related activities including root cause corrective action
- Represent Supplier Quality on the Material Review Board (MRB) and Engineering Change Actions
- Responsible for participating in continual improvement activities to enhance the quality system, such as 5S, Kaizen lean methods, etc
- Interface with Engineering, Manufacturing and Operations to ensure transfer to Production of new products are in accordance with approved data
- Responsible for performing job duties in a manner consistent with established Joby Policies and Procedures.
- Works under general direction. Independently determines and develops approach to solutions. Work is reviewed upon completion for adequacy in meeting objectives.
- Review and accept Supplier First Article Inspections
- Bachelor's degree in engineering, technology, or related field
- Minimum 3 years experience in a Supplier Quality or Quality Engineering role supporting a manufacturing environment
- Understanding of mechanical systems and inspection processes including in-process inspection and dimensional inspection
- Fundamental understanding of quality philosophies, principles, systems, methods, and tools
- Understanding of ISO9001, AS9100 or TS16949 Quality Management System
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills including writing skills
- Experience in the aviation industry
- Knowledge of FAA regulatory requirements
- Six Sigma Lean Manufacturing and Green Belt certification
- ASQ Certified Quality Engineer
- Familiarity with complex Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing
- Knowledge of AS9102 first article inspection process
Compensation at Joby is a combination of base pay and Restricted Stock Units (RSUs). The target base pay for this position is $93,400 - $161,300. The compensation package offered will be determined by location, job-related knowledge, skills, and experience.
Joby also offers a comprehensive benefits package, including paid time off, healthcare benefits, a 401(k) plan with a company match, an employee stock purchase plan (ESPP), short-term and long-term disability coverage, life insurance, and more.
Joby is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Electric Aerial Ridesharing