Nondestructive Test (NDT) Inspector
Located in Northern California, the team at Joby Aviation is driven by our goal of creating an affordable, all-electric air transportation system. Imagine a piloted air taxi that takes off vertically, then quietly carries you and your fellow passengers over the congested city streets below, enabling you to spend more time with the people and places that matter most. Since 2009, our team has worked steadily to make this dream a reality. We’ve designed and tested many generations of prototype aircraft capable of serving in a network of electric air taxis. We’re looking for talented, committed individuals to join our team as we push onwards toward certifying the Joby aircraft with the Federal Aviation Administration, scaling our manufacturing, and preparing to launch commercial service in 2025.
Joby Aviation is seeking a highly organized, passionate individual to join our quality assurance team as an NDT Level II inspector. As we are building and certifying an advanced composite airframe that also includes additively manufactured parts, this position is responsible for inspecting carbon composite, bonded structures, metallics and other advanced structures using ultrasonic, digital radiography, liquid penetrant or other state of art methods. This is an opportunity to participate in developing a complete system including influencing structural design, fabrication methods, and operational support of a new aircraft. Hands-on experience and a “get it done" attitude are very important for this position. This position is rewarding, as the engineer will promptly see their ideas grow from concept to creation due to the fast pace of Joby Aviation.
- Perform inspections to in accordance with written procedures/instruction
- Assist NDT Level III in developing techniques
- Collaborate, as a team member, to solve problems that enable unprecedented use of complex composite, 3D metallic and polymer printed structures
- Assist in developing and implementing additional inspection procedures and equipment
- Manage system of data analysis, interpretation, validation, and documentation for composite parts and assemblies
- Work with the design engineering, testing, and QA teams to create robust inspection processes that have the right level of resolution for the application, acceptable process throughput, and can be accomplished consistently by the QA department in serial production
- Assist in sourcing inspection equipment and work with suppliers to build inspection capability needed to support aggressive production rates
- Implement business processes to integrate QA data with the PLM/MES systems to capture inspection results and test reports against design data
- High School diploma (or GED) plus Minimum 2+ years of experience in a nondestructive testing method (UT, RT, PT).
- Understanding of composite or metallic processing defects.
- Desire to implement a holistic system to characterize manufacturing process outcome to create safe, economical aircraft structures at high production rates.
- Bachelor of Science degree in technology or engineer discipline
- 4+ years of experience in applying non-destructive inspection and testing practice to laminated advanced composite structures.
- 4+ years of experience in applying non-destructive inspection and testing practice to 3D printed metallics
- Previous Level II certification, meeting NAS 410 requirements, in one or more of the following methods: UT, RT, and/ or PT
- Experience using Phased Array Ultrasonic testing (PAUT) equipment
- Experience using Computed Tomography (CT) equipment
Compensation at Joby is a combination of base pay and Restricted Stock Units (RSUs). The target base pay for this position is $39-$44/hour. The compensation package will be determined by job-related knowledge, skills, and experience.
Joby also offers a comprehensive benefits package, including paid time off, healthcare benefits, a 401(k) plan with a company match, an employee stock purchase plan (ESPP), short-term and long-term disability coverage, life insurance, and more.
Joby is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Electric Aerial Ridesharing