Instructional Designer & Trainer (Temporary)
Located in Northern California, the team at Joby Aviation is driven by our goal of creating an affordable, all-electric air transportation system. Imagine a piloted air taxi that takes off vertically, then quietly carries you and your fellow passengers over the congested city streets below, enabling you to spend more time with the people and places that matter most. Since 2009, our team has worked steadily to make this dream a reality. We’ve designed and tested many generations of prototype aircraft capable of serving in a network of electric air taxis. We’re looking for talented, committed individuals to join our team as we push onwards toward certifying the Joby aircraft with the Federal Aviation Administration, scaling our manufacturing, and preparing to launch commercial service in 2025.
This temporary position provides a unique opportunity to serve as an instructional design subject matter expert and to provide training facilitation across the company for Environmental Health and Safety (EHS) initiatives. The ideal candidate has thorough knowledge and experience in applying instructional design principles; learning strategies and methodologies, including needs analysis, design, assessment design, and instructional approaches including lecture, discussion, and activities.
This temporary developer will have exceptional communication and interpersonal skills, a passion for teaching others, and the ability to connect with learners from diverse backgrounds. They will ensure that all participants receive consistent training experiences that align with the company’s objectives and standards.
We are open to hiring candidates to work out of one of the following locations:
Santa Cruz, CA, USA
San Carlos, CA USA
Marina, CA USA
- Conduct analysis of learning needs and existing materials and develop proposals for recommendations.
- Design and develop high-quality, engaging training content, learning activities, on-the-job support tools, and instructional resources to meet objectives.
- Design and implement assessments and evaluations to determine training effectiveness.
- Integrate feedback from initiatives to continually improve training and development.
- Facilitate in-person training sessions.
- Engage participants through interactive methods and encourage participation and discussions.
- Address questions and provide clarity on topics as needed.
- Schedule training sessions ensuring minimal disruption to regular business operations.
- Prepare training materials, equipment, and facilities prior to each session.
- Ensure classroom setup meets the needs of the training program and provides a conducive learning environment.
Feedback & Improvement
- Collect feedback from participants after each training session.
- Collaborate with the curriculum design team to suggest improvements based on participant feedback and observations during sessions.
- Monitor and evaluate the effectiveness of training sessions and report findings to the training manager.
- Liaise with department heads and team leaders to coordinate training schedules and understand specific team needs.
- Partner with the Learning & Development team for quality assurance.
- Bachelor's degree in instructional design, instructional technology, education HR, or equivalent experience.
- Previous experience in a Learning & Development or training role, preferably in a corporate environment.
- Exceptional presentation, facilitation, and public speaking skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication and interpersonal skills.
- Experience delivering training using virtual platforms and tools.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Ability to adapt to different learning styles and needs.
- Ability to handle and respond to on-the-spot queries and challenges.
- Team-oriented and collaborative but also able to work independently.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office and Google Workspace.
- May require standing for prolonged periods while training.
- May require occasional travel to different company sites.
- Knowledge and/or experience with state and federal training / compliance obligations.
- Demonstrated experience understanding, and training others to understand OSHA, Cal OSHA, and other state and federal workplace safety laws, policies and regulations.
- Knowledge and experience in designing and delivering training that meets ADA accessibility standards.
- Proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite.
Compensation at Joby is a combination of base pay and Restricted Stock Units (RSUs). The target base pay for this position is $79,600 - $106,100/annually. The compensation package will be determined by job-related knowledge, skills, and experience.
Joby also offers a comprehensive benefits package, including paid time off, healthcare benefits, a 401(k) plan with a company match, an employee stock purchase plan (ESPP), short-term and long-term disability coverage, life insurance, and more.
Joby is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Electric Aerial Ridesharing