Composite Materials and Process Engineer
Located in Northern California, the team at Joby Aviation is driven by our goal of creating an affordable, all-electric air transportation system. Imagine a piloted air taxi that takes off vertically, then quietly carries you and your fellow passengers over the congested city streets below, enabling you to spend more time with the people and places that matter most. Since 2009, our team has worked steadily to make this dream a reality. We’ve designed and tested many generations of prototype aircraft capable of serving in a network of electric air taxis. We’re looking for talented, committed individuals to join our team as we push onwards toward certifying the Joby aircraft with the Federal Aviation Administration, scaling our manufacturing, and preparing to launch commercial service in 2025.
Joby Aviation is seeking a highly organized, passionate individual to coordinate our composite materials qualification effort leading to the development, certification, and production of our eVTOL aircraft. This individual will have an overall responsibility to characterize composite materials.
- Develop and implement FAA mandated material qualification test plans
- Write and peer review materials, process, and test specifications for use in the manufacture of the airframe components
- Coordinate with M&P Test Laboratory to execute engineering work orders including hands-on work in fabricating, processing, and testing composite materials
- Evaluate materials test data and generate allowables using statistical analysis
- Lead R&D activities in the lab to optimize processes
- Develop repair processes for composite structures and support MRB/engineering dispositions.
- B.S. in mechanical engineering, aerospace engineering or a relevant discipline
- Knowledge of composite parts fabrication and structural bonding
- Familiarity with ASTM and SACMA test standards
- Good writing, computer, and presentation skills
- Excellent teamwork and communication skills
- Understanding of statistical design allowables
- Ability to work independently, with minimal supervision
- M.S./Ph.D. in relevant discipline
- 5+ year of experience in the aerospace industry
- Hands-on material test laboratory experience
- Familiarity with FAR Part 23, DOT/FAA/AR-00/47 and CMH-17G.
- Aerospace background in advanced composites and bonded structures
Compensation at Joby is a combination of base pay and Restricted Stock Units (RSUs). The target base pay for this position is $95,700 - $162,900/annually. The compensation package will be determined by job-related knowledge, skills, and experience.
Joby also offers a comprehensive benefits package, including paid time off, healthcare benefits, a 401(k) plan with a company match, an employee stock purchase plan (ESPP), short-term and long-term disability coverage, life insurance, and more.
Joby is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Electric Aerial Ridesharing