Non Destructive Test Engineer
Located in Northern California, the team at Joby Aviation is driven by our goal of creating an affordable, all-electric air transportation system. Imagine a piloted air taxi that takes off vertically, then quietly carries you and your fellow passengers over the congested city streets below, enabling you to spend more time with the people and places that matter most. Since 2009, our team has worked steadily to make this dream a reality. We’ve designed and tested many generations of prototype aircraft capable of serving in a network of electric air taxis. We’re looking for talented, committed individuals to join our team as we push onwards toward certifying the Joby aircraft with the Federal Aviation Administration, scaling our manufacturing, and preparing to launch commercial service in 2025.
Joby Aviation is seeking a passionate individual to join our Airframe engineering team. We are building and certifying an advanced composite airframe for use in on-demand passenger transportation. This position is responsible for development, qualification, and implementing the production system for inspecting carbon composite, bonded structures, and other advanced composite structures using ultrasonic, thermography, and other state of art methods. This is an opportunity to develop a complete system including influencing structural design, fabrication methods, and operational support of a new aircraft. Hands-on experience and a “get it done" attitude are very important for this position.
- Using first principles, mathematics, and data analysis techniques to develop NDT technologies and solve problems that enable unprecedented use of complex composite and printed structures.
- Develop and implement inspection procedures and equipment.
- Create and manage system of data analysis, interpretation, validation, and documentation for composite parts and assemblies.
- Work with the design engineering, testing, and QA teams to create robust inspection processes that have the right level of resolution for the application, acceptable process throughput, and can be accomplished consistently by the QA department in serial production.
- Source inspection equipment and work with suppliers to build inspection capability needed to support aggressive production rates.
- Be a team leader that provides cross functional project management capability and ensures that underlying science drives the inspection process standards.
- Develop business processes to integrate QA data with the PLM/MES systems to capture inspection results and test reports against design data.
- Bachelor of Science in Physics or appropriate Engineering discipline. Masters preferred.
- Strong understanding of composite processing defects, including linkage of defects to structural performance.
- Desire to develop a holistic system to characterize manufacturing process outcome to create safe, economical aircraft structures at high production rates.
- 2+ year experience in developing and applying non-destructive inspection and testing practice to laminated advanced composite structures.
- ASNT Level II or III certification preferred.
- 5+ year of experience in the aerospace industry
- Aerospace background in advanced composites and bonded structures
- ASNT Level II or III certification
Joby is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Electric Aerial Ridesharing