Located in Northern California, the team at Joby Aviation is driven by our goal of creating an affordable, all-electric air transportation system. Imagine a piloted air taxi that takes off vertically, then quietly carries you and your fellow passengers over the congested city streets below, enabling you to spend more time with the people and places that matter most. Since 2009, our team has worked steadily to make this dream a reality. We’ve designed and tested many generations of prototype aircraft capable of serving in a network of electric air taxis. We’re looking for talented, committed individuals to join our team as we push onwards toward certifying the Joby aircraft with the Federal Aviation Administration, scaling our manufacturing, and preparing to launch commercial service in 2025.
As a Technical Editor, you will be part of a fast moving team responsible for the quality, clarity, and accuracy of the documentation for the technologies related to an aircraft product. You will handle multiple review processes for certification documents, edit diagrams included in documents, and provide ad hoc writing expertise to authors and SMEs. You will also assist in defining and improving editorial processes.
This is a technical editing position that has the potential to expand to include technical writing and technical illustration.
You will do hands-on research and obtain necessary technical content from subject matter experts while translating it into clear, concise, structured documentation. This task will range from the creation of original content to the editorial review and rework of content as required as it evolves.
- A University degree and 2+ years’ experience as a technical writer or editor. Non degreed candidates with an equivalent combination of prior technical writing and or editing experience and a strong portfolio will also be considered.
- Self-motivated and energetic
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Fast and curious learner who enjoys picking up new technology
- Use of one or more style guides
- Experience wrangling competing comments from diverse and busy SMEs
- Intense attention to detail
- MS Word and PowerPoint expertise
- 1 or more years experience in an Agile environment
Please note that candidates will be asked to provide their writing examples portfolio.
- Diagraming tools such as draw.io, Visio, or LucidChart
- Illustration tools such as Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, or Corel Draw
- Jira to track work
- Previous work with the FAA or another regulatory agency
- Long, complex document editing
- Editorial processes: envisioning, defining, and codifying
Please still apply if you don’t meet all items in the desired section! Studies have shown that women and people of color are less likely to apply to jobs unless they meet every single qualification. We are dedicated to building a diverse and effective workplace, so if you’re excited about this role but your experience doesn’t align perfectly with every qualification, we encourage you to apply anyway. You may be just the right candidate for this or other roles.
Compensation at Joby is a combination of base pay and Restricted Stock Units (RSUs). The target base pay for this position is $64,500 - $105,700. The compensation package offered will be determined by location, job-related knowledge, skills, and experience.
Joby also offers a comprehensive benefits package, including paid time off, healthcare benefits, a 401(k) plan with a company match, an employee stock purchase plan (ESPP), short-term and long-term disability coverage, life insurance, and more.
Joby is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Electric Aerial Ridesharing