Software Verification, Engineering Operations Lead
Located in Northern California, the team at Joby Aviation is driven by our goal of creating an affordable, all-electric air transportation system. Imagine a piloted air taxi that takes off vertically, then quietly carries you and your fellow passengers over the congested city streets below, enabling you to spend more time with the people and places that matter most. Since 2009, our team has worked steadily to make this dream a reality. We’ve designed and tested many generations of prototype aircraft capable of serving in a network of electric air taxis. We’re looking for talented, committed individuals to join our team as we push onwards toward certifying the Joby aircraft with the Federal Aviation Administration, scaling our manufacturing, and preparing to launch commercial service in 2025.
Aviation Software requires comprehensive testing to ensure safety and to meet flight certification standards. We are looking for a passionate individual to lead and manage our Software Verification Operations Team located at our Santa Cruz and Marina Airport facilities.
In this role you will:
- Focus on leading the technical SV (Software Verification) Ops Team that helps Joby Aviation achieve software certification by performing release testing of the Embedded C/C++ code that controls vehicle flight and system monitoring.
- Develop and manage a team of SV engineers to achieve company objectives by providing technical direction, monitoring progress, problem solving, and leading your team's professional development (e.g., performance evaluations, promotion management, routine one-on-one developmental conversations) and mentor them on performance.
- Participate in product design reviews to provide input on functional requirements, product designs, schedules, or potential problems.
- Work with a range of software, processor in the loop, and hardware in the loop simulators representative of the eVTOL system.
- Become the Software Verification product expert on flight-critical software components and own the testing process.
- Design, execute and maintain test cases, test plans, test procedures, test reports, and supporting documentation for software certification and validation purposes.
- Identify, analyze, and document problems with program function, user interface, or content.
Candidate should be an energetic, meticulous, self-motivated person with an adamant belief in the importance of product quality. If you love working with leading-edge technology, have passion for innovation and safety, and a hands-on approach this is the job for you.
- Proven track record in leading and managing software verification engineering teams in a fast-paced and dynamic environment.
- B.S. in Computer Science, Mathematics, Mechanical Engineering, Aerospace Engineering, and 7+ years industry experience in Quality Assurance or Test Engineering. An advanced degree and 5+ years of industry QA (Quality Assurance) or test experience will also be considered.
- 5+ years prior experience building and managing a team of high performing software test engineers.
- Strong background in Software Test and Verification on embedded systems.
- Interfacing with embedded software and electronic hardware.
- Project management, bug tracking and continuous integration tools, e.g., JIRA, Jenkins, TeamCity
- Development, execution, and reporting of manual test cases.
- Strong debugging and troubleshooting skills.
- Must be able to support on-site testing (Santa Cruz, Marina, CA.)
- Flexible schedule.
- DO-178C Software Certification experience.
- Agile software development and Test-Driven Development.
- Python programming and shell scripting proficiency.
- Robotics Project(s) and/or Drone experience.
- Piloting aircraft, avionics hardware, electric cars, or similar systems.
- Networking fundamentals.
- Hands-on can-do mentality.
Location: Santa Cruz CA. (commutable to the Santa Cruz/Monterey area). Please note that this is not an remote eligible position.
Please still apply if you do not meet all items in the desired section! Studies have shown that women and people of color are less likely to apply to jobs unless they meet every single qualification. We are dedicated to building a diverse and effective workplace, so if you are excited about this role but your experience does not align perfectly with every qualification, we encourage you to apply anyway. You may be just the right candidate for this or other roles.
Compensation at Joby is a combination of base pay and Restricted Stock Units (RSUs). The target base pay for this position is $100,200 - $169,700. The compensation package offered will be determined by location, job-related knowledge, skills, and experience.
Joby also offers a comprehensive benefits package, including paid time off, healthcare benefits, a 401(k) plan with a company match, an employee stock purchase plan (ESPP), short-term and long-term disability coverage, life insurance, and more.
Joby is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Electric Aerial Ridesharing