Flight Research Senior Mechanical Engineer
Joby Aviation’s Flight Research team is seeking a highly motivated mechanical engineer to lead projects from a blank slate through flight tests in an iterative rapid prototyping environment. As a team member, you will leverage your deep understanding of fundamentals and demonstrated skillset to lead design efforts of a wide variety of mechanisms and components in support of aircraft research and development efforts. Your experience and passion should drive you to tackle issues and take on responsibilities beyond a single track mechanical engineer.
- Initial layout and sizing
- Detailed design and fabrication specifications
- Direct communication with other design engineers such as aero, systems, structures, and technicians in manufacturing and test in a highly collaborative fast paced environment
- Lead efforts from conception through flight testing
- B.S & 5+ years experience or M.S & 3+ years experience or equivalent experience
- Proficiency in mechanical design, materials selection, kinematics, troubleshooting, and analysis
- “Full-stack” experience including test design, equipment/component selection, hands-on builds, bring-up and troubleshooting
- Proficiency with CAD
- Excellent problem solving and communication skills
- Strong analytical background
- Strong desire to wear multiple hats tackling cross functional tasks
This position must meet US export control compliance requirements, therefore a candidate must qualify as a “US Person” as defined by 22 C.F.R. § 120.15. “US Person” includes US Citizens, lawful permanent residents, refugees, or asylees.
- Aviation or Automotive industry experience
- Electromechanical design involving complex kinematics
- Demonstrated experience leading projects
- Proficiency with Catia, preferably in 3D Experience Environment
- Ability to make effective trades between typical constraints such as weight, performance, risk, cost, and timeline
- Experience with instrumentation selection/procurement and data acquisition
- Mechatronics experience
Compensation at Joby is a combination of base pay and Restricted Stock Units (RSUs). The target base pay for this position is $140,500 - $187,400/yr. The compensation package offered will be determined by location, job-related knowledge, skills, and experience.
Joby also offers a comprehensive benefits package, including paid time off, healthcare benefits, a 401(k) plan with a company match, an employee stock purchase plan (ESPP), short-term and long-term disability coverage, life insurance, and more
Joby is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Electric Aerial Ridesharing