Project Engineer - Flight Physics
Located in Northern California, the team at Joby Aviation is driven by our goal of creating an affordable, all-electric air transportation system. Imagine a piloted air taxi that takes off vertically, then quietly carries you and your fellow passengers over the congested city streets below, enabling you to spend more time with the people and places that matter most. Since 2009, our team has worked steadily to make this dream a reality. We’ve designed and tested many generations of prototype aircraft capable of serving in a network of electric air taxis. We’re looking for talented, committed individuals to join our team as we push onwards toward certifying the Joby aircraft with the Federal Aviation Administration, scaling our manufacturing, and preparing to launch commercial service in 2025.
Joby Aviation is seeking a passionate project engineer to join our flight physics team with a focus in technical coordination and schedule development of flight controls, aerodynamics, loads, aeroelasticity, and flight performance efforts. The position will be in our Santa Cruz, CA location, and will actively work with various teams at Joby Aviation, including flight physics, airframe and actuators, integration and test, certification and more. This role will operate in a fast paced, demanding, and rewarding environment with very high expectations for individual contribution.
- Own and develop the Flight Physics Department project plan
- Work closely with the Flight Controls, Flight Engineering, and Modeling & Simulation teams as well as their supporting groups to identify and scope work relevant to design, analysis, and certification work.
- Facilitate communication between the Flight Physics Department and other internal teams including, but not limited to Flight Structures, Data Analytics, Software, and Systems Engineering
- Ensure that projects document and meet internal and external requirements and standards
- Collaborate with project managers to ensure convergence of company-level efforts to achieve milestones
- Actively manage open projects by tracking progress, and facilitate conversations between stakeholders to resolve any potential issues ahead of critical schedule impact on the program
- Create, maintain, communicate, and present schedules to multiple audiences, from individual contributors to executives
- Manage the department schedule, resources, tasking, and establishment of work scope
- Help identify and assess issues and risks
- Develop tools to facilitate the various reporting and planning functions described above
- Bachelors in Aerospace Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, or equivalent experience working on Aerospace programs
- 6+ years of relevant engineering experience
- Demonstrated organizational skills and attention to detail
- Demonstrated experience in the simultaneous management of multiple high-paced engineering projects
- Demonstrated understanding of the product development cycle for software and hardware projects from early design through to completion, launch, and sustaining
- Demonstrated experience and understanding of aircraft certification
- Expertise in project management tools such as JIRA, MS Project, Smartsheet, and/or Confluence
- Knowledge of Agile methodologies
- Masters in Aerospace Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, or equivalent experience working on Aerospace programs
- Background in aircraft simulation, model validation, aircraft performance, controls, or aircraft systems engineering
- Demonstrate strong technical understanding of flight controls, aircraft performance, aircraft loads and/or aircraft simulation.
Compensation at Joby is a combination of base pay and Restricted Stock Units (RSUs). The target base pay for this position is $126,800 - $169,100/yr. The compensation package will be determined by job-related knowledge, skills, and experience.
Joby also offers a comprehensive benefits package, including paid time off, healthcare benefits, a 401(k) plan with a company match, an employee stock purchase plan (ESPP), short-term and long-term disability coverage, life insurance, and more.
Electric Aerial Ridesharing