Systems Engineer, Integrated Aircraft
Located in Northern California, the team at Joby Aviation is driven by our goal of creating an affordable, all-electric air transportation system. Imagine a piloted air taxi that takes off vertically, then quietly carries you and your fellow passengers over the congested city streets below, enabling you to spend more time with the people and places that matter most. Since 2009, our team has worked steadily to make this dream a reality. We’ve designed and tested many generations of prototype aircraft capable of serving in a network of electric air taxis. We’re looking for talented, committed individuals to join our team as we push onwards toward certifying the Joby aircraft with the Federal Aviation Administration, scaling our manufacturing, and preparing to launch commercial service in 2025.
The Systems Engineer, Integrated Aircraft role is a systems engineering position focused at the integrated aircraft level of the development and certification project. This role provides the engineer a chance to interact with many of the key teams within the company, while focusing the successful completion of systems engineering aspects of development, design integration, and certification at the aircraft level.
This role requires a solid understanding of aircraft and complex aircraft systems, systems engineering fundamentals, complex system development practices, and industry specific certification processes. Primary areas of responsibility may include aircraft-level requirements definition and management, decomposition of aircraft-level requirements to systems, sub-systems, equipment, and software, inter system interface control, system performance analyses and simulation, system safety analyses, maintenance requirements management, and manuals and procedures development. This role will be part of the Integrated Aircraft Team and will coordinate closely with the product team, flight operations, systems engineering, system safety, flight test, area Integrated Product Teams, and software and hardware engineering teams. This role will also work closely with FAA Engineers and Joby DERs to ensure aircraft-level airworthiness regulations are met.
The most important traits at Joby are attitude towards the project, hard work ethic, and being able to self-manage and learn new skills. Forward thinking will be highly regarded as well.
- Generate, review, and manages aircraft level design requirements
- Coordinate with Product and Operations teams to ensure aircraft design requirements meet customer expectations
- Work with various company departments to ensure lower level designs meet aircraft level needs, including coordinating requirements decomposition, validation, design implementation, and verification activities
- Support aircraft-level development and certification activities, including aircraft-level design reviews, system simulations and evaluations, safety reviews, and aircraft integration
- Coordinate closely with other functional groups to ensure the accuracy of aircraft level artifacts over the entire project life cycle, including aircraft-level safety assessments, HIRF/lightning/EME considerations, and aircraft flight and maintenance manual content creation
- Serve as an aircraft-level expert for systems engineering, integration, and coordination activities
- Support flight and integration testing as needed
- Support development of systems engineering standards and practices, and may support related training initiatives across the company
- Support defining and coordinating processes to vehicle specific development to ensure compliance will be complete and efficient
- Various technical leadership and project engineering tasks as required
- Previous experience with aircraft and system development projects
- Previous experience with complex requirements management projects
- Very familiar with aircraft operations and service considerations
- Very familiar with FAA regulations and guidance material and industry standards
- Excellent ability to read and create technical requirements, specifications, schematics, interface control definitions, and test plans and procedures
- Excellent problem solving, communication, coordination, and technical writing skills
- Excellent technical presentation skills
- Previous experience working with CAD and PLM tools
- Bachelor of Science in Engineering or related discipline is required; Aerospace Engineering is preferred
- 7+ years of relevant industry experience
- Proficient in English
- Proficient with Microsoft Office and Google Docs
- Whole-aircraft FAA certification program experience, Part 23 or Part 27 experience preferred
- Expert level understanding of aircraft operations and service considerations; an active pilot with advanced ratings preferred
- Previous experience with ARP 4754A and ARP 4761 processes, methods, and artifacts
- Previous experience with aircraft production and continued operational safety
- FAA Designated Engineering Representative or similar authorization
- Previous experience in flight and/or system integration testing
- Experience and involvement with industry groups to develop consensus standards
- 15+ years of relevant industry experience
- Familiar with Dassault Systemes engineering and management tools – CATIA, ENOVIA
Compensation at Joby is a combination of base pay and Restricted Stock Units (RSUs). The target base pay for this position is $99,800-$176,000 / year. The compensation package offered will be determined by location, job-related knowledge, skills, and experience.
Joby also offers a comprehensive benefits package, including paid time off, healthcare benefits, a 401(k) plan with a company match, an employee stock purchase plan (ESPP), short-term and long-term disability coverage, life insurance, and more.
Joby is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Electric Aerial Ridesharing